Contributor

Re: Loosing The Art of Making Anything By Hand!

You are so right, people today are so used to paying cheap prices for mass-produced items that they won't pay for handmade craftsmanship.  I'm a quilter and I give many quilts as gifts.  If the recipients actually knew how much money went into each quilt (just for the materials alone), they would be totally shocked.  I would love to sell some but know I wouldn't be able to recoup my costs.

Esteemed Contributor

@annabellethecat   Thanks so much!   I will check it out.  I used to get it from cheapfabric.com but they no longer exist.   Thanks again!

Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 Thanks to all of you for your wonderful responses.  It's good to know there are people still interested in handmade crafts.

I guess in the area I live in (the Washington, DC area) there aren't a lot of good (key word) craft shows.  There are a few, I realize that.  I think mainly I was talking about the fact that many young people just aren't interested in learning how to do some of these things (i.e. crochet, knitting, etc).  

Some of you are right about the cost of material.  Patterns are usually on sale for as little as $5 and $6 at places like the fabric stores.

I used to sew most of the dresses I wore to work.  The style was like what Jackie Kennedy wore (the sheeth dress, I think it was called).  I'd put different sleeves, some collars, etc on a basic dress.  I wasn't great but could do some of the more simple things.  My middle daughter was so skinny, I had to make her pants.  Ha!  Then we have some wonderful Halloween costumes I'd make.  

I don't know if any of you who are considered Seniors (like me, I hate that word) but I look at all of the costumes, afghans, and good grief x-stitch things I made and think....."Wow!  I can't believe I did that".  Especially the x-stitch is so tiny.  I remember it cost a fortune to get them framed!  ha!  Just the framing alone is worth something....

I hired someone to come in and pack up my house (all of the ummmmm stuff(?) I don't use.  She was in the sewing room and found scarf after scarf and I was amazed at all of them.  Funny thing is I don't wear scarfs.  

I will try to find (and post a picture of the hood/hat thing my friend made for my daughter (she's 36, not a kid) but wanted this thing for skiing.  My friend made it by looking at the picture.  It's amazing and my daughter wears it skiing...go figure!  Ha!

Esteemed Contributor

@annabellethecat  I Love crafts.  I have done it all at one time.  Kind of got away from it whe I moved to Florida.  Reading these posts makes me want to start a project! 

Honored Contributor

If you can figure out an address and a way to post it to me I'd send you some of the flannel.  I'm getting ready to give the friend I mentioned who does the quilts a bunch of it. 

Anyone who sews is familiar with the phrase:  "He who dies with the most fabric wins".  Ha!  We tend to be hoarders.

I have plastic tubs of yarn that line the wall in that room.  It's a kind of sickness!  Hummm???

I'll just give you the fabric because I am giving it to my friend.  I have no use for it.  I'll just mail it to you.  I often do things like this.  There are a few people here I email.

Honored Contributor

Now days people don't need to rely on selling their stuff at craft fares. It's less work ( no manning a booth all day) and you probably get better prices selling directly online. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

@jaxs mom - When I lived in NJ there was the most beautiful yarn shop. Every kind of yarn, not the Michael's variety, but high quality for the accomplished knitter or crocheter. I can crochet and do the basics to make an afghan, but not accomplished enough to buy these yarns - lol.

If I can find the name would you like it? They might do mail orders - I'm not sure. Riley1

Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@jaxs mom - When I lived in NJ there was the most beautiful yarn shop. Every kind of yarn, not the Michael's variety, but high quality for the accomplished knitter or crocheter. I can crochet and do the basics to make an afghan, but not accomplished enough to buy these yarns - lol.

If I can find the name would you like it? They might do mail orders - I'm not sure. Riley1

Sure, thanks @riley1 Don't go to too much trouble looking though, because I'm kind of overstocked on undyed natural color wool yarns at the moment LOL.  I only buy other yarns for special projects. 

I love that with the internet you can buy yarn directly from the folks raising the fiber animals. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

@annabellethecat - I watched the show Crafts in America. I loved it! Wish they would bring back more episodes with different things.

Are you a quilter? Quilting is my passion and I happen to own an on-line shop - You want to talk fabric - oyvey!!

Every newborn gets a quilt from me. In fact, my friend just told me she's going to be a grandma - so I get to make a little girl quilt.

Baby quilts are my absolute favorite!

Esteemed Contributor

@annabellethecat  I appreciate that, but number one I need long pieces so I can tie in a knot.  I don't think it would be a good idea to post an address or an email on here, but thank you for the offer.  You are very kind.