Trusted Contributor

Re: Losing The Art of Making Anything By Hand!

@jaxs mom wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Blahblahvampemer wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

Here's an interesting f.y.i. During the turn of the 20th century, the "Arts & Crafts Movement" was started because people had a fear of handcrafts being a lost art because of the advent of machine/factory made goods.

There are still many handcrafted items being offered for sale, hard lines and soft lines.

Yes, but the under 40s aren't the regular customers.  I've been in small and large galleries, tiny craft stores, sizable co-ops, museums, artist's studios...and a huge chunk of the business is from 55+.  The age of people LEARNING these skills is also way up.  

Elton John was big on collecting fine antiques until a museum curator told him to also collect new pieces to keep the skills alive.  I wish that attitude was spreading like a grassfire, but it isn't.

The under 40s are all over crafting, are you even familiar with Etsy? 

Yes, what happens in local stores is not representative of what's happening in crafting. Most people shop online now for better selection and prices.

True, but when you talk to the artists, their customers tend to be on the mature side.  Research shows that younger people overwhelmingly favor disposable goods. 

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor

Re: Loosing The Art of Making Anything By Hand!

Wow!  If you look at Etsy there are a lot of people still making things by hand. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Losing The Art of Making Anything By Hand!

Ok thanks for making it clear that your mind is made up regarding your assumption. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 I don't know where you live but, while watching "This Old House" the lady who is having her house rebuilt (pretty much) was attending what the TV said was the largest antique sale in the country.  It was (I think they said) in Massachusetts.  Here's the website:http://www.brimfieldshow.com/

My late Mother collected antiques.  When she died my little sisters got most of the items.  They didn't take care of any of it....so sad.  I got one table.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66, I do agree with you, if you look at jewelry made 50 yrs ago and up you will see such attention to detail. There definitely are places where you can get handmade stuff including jewelry. @raven-blackbird mentioned Etsy in her post and there are other places like it. All vendors at Etsy must handmake their items. They do have exceptions when business grow and that isn't sustainable but they have to meet their criteria. I get some of my nail polishes from there. Lots of really lovely handmade stuff. My daughter has a store on Etsy and there are so many really talented people on there selling some beautiful stuff. You should definitely check it out. 

I don't think something handmade automatically makes it better and in reality many people can't afford the expense of something handmade or just don't want to pay for it as there are many things that are mass made that are just as good depending on what you are talking about. 

Over the past couple of years, I have been buying older jewelry from estate sales. I like jewelry and have a nice sized collection both older and newer, both real and costume. I can say that the majority of older stuff I have purchased is definitely higher quality. I am a big fan of Art Deco jewelry and the quality of most of that is second to none. 

There has actually been an upswing in handmade stuff over the past couple of years and here are a few sites that are like Etsy if you are interested.  http://moneypantry.com/etsy-alternatives/

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@Bonanzajellybean wrote:

Wow!  If you look at Etsy there are a lot of people still making things by hand. 

I've bought some fabulous handmade items on Etsy. I'm not over 55 and I've crafted in one way, shape or form since I was a kid. My kid also sews and crafts. I also have a bunch of friends that craft, and we co-op purchase things like yarn ect sometimes. How people purchase supplies and sell their crafts has changed significantly in the last 20 years. 

Honored Contributor

There are knitting groups all over the place now. Very popular with hipsters. My teenagers crochet, knit and make jewelry. One even sews clothes out of pieces from other clothing. 

I love looking at fabric. I make my own throw pillows. I also hand paint furniture. 

Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

@sparklestar wrote:

It didn't happen overnight.  It happens over time as we progress.  I think it's lack of interest on the younger generation and lack of effort on the older generation to involve their children and grandchildren. 

DIY is huge, especially with people 35 and under. Like anything else, everyone isn't doing it but it's certainly not dead. There are tons of blogs dedicated to DYI crafting. I don't think we are losing the ability to make things by hand. 

To me, there is a difference between craftsmanship and crafting.

Crafting is buying premade components and things and putting them together to make something that is of a decorative (usually) nature. To me it is like going to HL, getting a wreath and some picks and other embellishments and putting them together. One doesn't really 'make' anything. And I'm not slamming that, as that is pretty much the extent of my own abilities.

Craftsmanship is taking something much more basic (and usually organic) and creating something from the ground up. Knitting a scarf (especially if you raise the animals and process the yarn yourself), making wooden spoons bowls, shelves or furniture, taking clay and making a pot, cutting branches and gathering pine cones and creating a wreath, weaving a basket (especially from wood you process yourself), etc.

Not sure anyone else would agree with this or if I made it clear, but I do see a big difference and the later things I described are alive and well. Many people are making a good living doing such things. The problem is there is just  so much manufactured cheaper things out there, that people do buy more of those.

Honored Contributor

I don't care enough to debate the definition of handmade vs crafted. I haven't spun my own yarn because we never had enough sheep at once to make it worth it, although I have joked about spinning the dogs fur on occasion. 

I've made jewerly but I've never made all the findings myself. I did a slip wax method ring once. I've sewed a lot but I'm not good enough to sell my stuff and I generally sew for utility. For example I sewed all my goats their own coats for the winter and measured each them so they had a custom fit. I didn't make the fabric though. 

I've bought hair toys ( hair pins ect) that started as a piece of metal, but I'm sure the person I bought it from didn't actually create the metal alloy or start from raw metal to make it. 

Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe Here's a few websites that say their fabric is irregular and cheap(er):

http://www.sixfiguresunder.com/get-fabric-free-or-cheap/

https://www.discounteddesignerfabrics.com/?imt=1&gclid=CL_jgeSPrs4CFcQehgodT8cCPQ

I have no idea if it is cheap but just google like I did:

"Where can I find irregular inexpensive fabric"