Honored Contributor

Re: Loosing The Art of Making Anything By Hand!

I still sew, quilt and do counted cross stitch.

I piece my quilts on the machine, but they are hand quilted.

A lot of people, not all, think that because you don't work outside the home, what you are making is busy work and therefore want it for practically free.  I don't sell my work, what I make are gifts for family members.

I recently did a wedding cross stitch sampler for my niece that took me 70 hours to do. Even if I paid my self $5 an hour, that's $350 not including the materials and the cost to have it framed.  

My grandmother quilted, my mother quilted.  I have a feeling I am the last to carry on that tradition.  My daughter and nieces have no desire to learn and I'm not going to beat them over the head and force it on them.

My daughter is the only one that uses the quilts I have made for her.  I know the rest are wrapped in tissue, sitting on a closet shelf because they don't want anything to happen to them.  I made them to be used and it makes me sad that they aren't.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ Thank you so much for responding to this forum subject.  As the OP I was worried it was a "lame/uninteresting" subject matter.  

I am often telling friends (and strangers, much to their chagrin) Ha!  That on the QVC forum there are people here who know something about everything (often first hand).  You have proven me right!

I love the fact that there are people (like yourself) who know and appreciate antiques.  I think we are a throw-away society (I'm very guilty of this, unfortunately), and when I read these posts, I feel elated.

I don't know if you ever watch "The Old House" (I think you probably do) but they are all about taking the 'old' and bringing it into the 21st Century while keeping the 'old'.  I think I can say that this show is one of my favorites.  Although I cringe at what it must cost to have windows 'remade' exactly like that from the 18th century.

I'm in the process of getting ready to sell my house I've lived in (and built) for 38 years.  Not an easy task for someone like me who's health is deteriorating.  I've always been a 'hands on' person.  When we built this house I worked along side of the builders, staining all of the inside wood, painting, papering, you name it.  I foresee a lot of arguments between myself and the builder I've hired!  There's nothing worse than someone who "thinks" they know something (key word 'thinks).   Ha!

Honored Contributor

@WSfan What a wonderful post!  Loved reading it.  I'll bet your cards are amazing.  I have one friend who makes all of her Christmas cards.  They are amazing!  I've said to her I think she's crazy!  Ha!  Because I wonder if people get them and after Christmas they just end up in the trash like all of the store bought cards.  I still remember her response, "I make the cards because it gets me into the Christmas spirit and it is my gift to the receiver to remind THEM what this is all about.  That it's not about the gifts, it's about showing those you love you are thinking about them."

My Aunt (whom I lived with) would crochet everything (her speciality was bedspreads).  I don't have many regrets but I do regret never taking the time to have her teach me to crochet some of the elaborate designs she created.  If there is a reason it's probably because, as a child, I resented all of the chaos she created with her depression.  As an adult (after she died) I realized how much pain she was always in.  

Lessons of life......

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter I agree with you about the use of quilts.  I think they become even more beautiful when they are used.

Perhaps they aren't used because some people realize they don't have the patience to care for them once they are put out for others to enjoy.  There are so many chemicals in the laundry detergents today, just a simple soaking in a product like Woolite would probably work well.  

I mean I'm just repeating what my friend says to use and how I think she'd explain why your quilts are being preserved.  Perhaps if you explain to them how much you'd enjoy seeing them laid out, they'd understand what joy they can bring.  Just walking into a bedroom that has a handmade quilt lying on the bed will bring a smile on one's face that could last all day.  Just saying.....

Esteemed Contributor

Whenever I give a quilt as a gift I explain I have made it to be used, not stored in a closet. I know the "new" moms seem horrified when I say this. I recently gave a baby quilt as a gift and repeated the use statement - I have gotten pictures of the baby napping or using it as a playmat - I was thrilled!

Also, if giving a quilt as a gift include washing instructions if you haven't washed it. Include a Shout Color Catcher in a zip loc with the instructions.

I also include a zip loc with cuts of the fabrics used should a "patch" ever have to be made.

Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

Whenever I give a quilt as a gift I explain I have made it to be used, not stored in a closet. I know the "new" moms seem horrified when I say this. I recently gave a baby quilt as a gift and repeated the use statement - I have gotten pictures of the baby napping or using it as a playmat - I was thrilled!

Also, if giving a quilt as a gift include washing instructions if you haven't washed it. Include a Shout Color Catcher in a zip loc with the instructions.

I also include a zip loc with cuts of the fabrics used should a "patch" ever have to be made.

I don't prewash the fabric before I use it.  I wash them once I am completely finished, takes off all those finger pokes.  Color Catchers are the greatest thing ever invented and I always include one or two with the finished product!

Honored Contributor

I embroider and cross stitch but sadly I have to admit havent done it in a while--- I actually bought a small kit a coupe months ago to try to get back in the swing of things....

@Annabellethecat66 

I think your right about losing our hand made crafts---  I remember my mom and aunt sewing clothes for me and my sister--- but then the patterns and material became too expensive and it was actually cheaper to buy things---although they don't have the craftsmanship, quality, and love......

And except for kid's school projects not many people I know are into arts & crafts either---I make my own wreaths sometimes and partake in other craft projects....

I'm not into Quacker Factory's glitz and bling, but I do love some of their embroidered t-shirts particularly the ones for the holidays and the ones with cats---but even Angel said that it's hard to find people that embroider anymore---hence the cost of those items and I can believe it.... People are more into their smartphones and FB rather than handmade crafts!---VERY SAD!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

A mennonite friend made me a quilt - every stitch by hand. It is so beautiful! Anyway, I was afraid to wash it and she laughed at me and said to please do wash it. That she had preshrunk the fabrics long before they were cut out and that it was so well stitched together that it would likely still be around in 50 years.We use the quilt every day in Florida as the AC blows on me and makes me cold - it gets washed often and still looks pristine. Please do use your hand made quilts and wash them as needed. 

Esteemed Contributor

@mamboman   I have looked but as I stated before.  It is hard to find in Florida.  We just don't wear flannel here.  Thanks for the suggestion though.  ::0)

Honored Contributor

I use to buy handmade quilts from the amish,there are large groups of them in indiana, the tops were cheap,and we would get the backing put on,from quilters, now many years forward, none of them go with my taste now, i went from a 18th century house back then, to a  arts and craft home, to now just a simple plain house.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.