Esteemed Contributor

Re: Looks like erika is coming

@151949 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

we had a flood claim last year during the springtime.....during a particularly heavy rain. dont get too comfortable with your flood insurance and what it covers because it wont cover nearly half of what you expect, especially if you have a finished basement. unfortunately there is not a lot you can do except take a loss on your tax returns.

We don't have basements in Florida.

You don't have a basement in Florida. But, yes, we do have basements in Florida!

Honored Contributor

@gmkb wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

My mother actually just built a house down there near Orlando and when I asked about what they do for hurricanes she said they don't really get them there.  I am not saying one word right now because I still want to be in the will.  Smiley Happy

Actually at this point it doesn't look too bad so I think you and everyone else should stay very wet but standing.  Fingers crossed for both you and my mother.  

I live in the Orlando area.  While we don't get hit with the fury that coastal areas do, we do see the damage hurricanes can cause.  About 10 years ago two came thru in one season and many roofs had severe damage, screen rooms were blown off, enormous trees down. I hope you will encourage your mother to take precautions for her safety and to have water, non perishable food, flashlights, batteries, and a battery radio if this storm approaches.

Thank you!  I remember that.  It's actually her second home so she won't be there but the house will.  I don't think you guys have much to worry about but I am glad she's getting a scare.   Stay safe!!

Respected Contributor

If it was Vero Beach (startig w/a 'V') my in-laws lost their condo in 2004 (?) by Ivan.

Respected Contributor

wasn't Andrew the storm that changed building code in FL ?   i believe  new construction had to have reinforced roof joists

we went through the outer bands of Sandy a few years ago and no way would i want to do this again . we were way over a hundred miles from NJ/NY metro area)  lost power for days and ran out of water and there was no water to be found at any store if it was actually open.  we had a battery op radio - would recommend to anyone in the path of a storm!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Losing power is the worse part of most hurricanes for inland areas.  Anyone who doesn't stock up on food, water and batteries is pushing their luck.  You may not have any damage but the area around you can be damaged and it will affect you and your daily living.   You don't have to have a direct hit by the eye.  The outer bands can be just as dangerous.

HUGO, that wiped out Charleston SC, was wider than the entire state of Florida.  ONE hurricane is ONE hurricane.  They are all different!  Just be prepared and hope for the est.  Hope we all stay safe!

Valued Contributor

I went through Hurricane Andrew, and never want to experience that again.  One poster mentioned the building codes changing after Andrew.  That is indeed the truth.

I plan to put out Valerie's battery-powered angels if we lose power. Angels are God's messengers to protect - so as an act of faith, I will put them all over the house.

i pray that Erika will dwindle down to nothing, and be a mere blip on the screen.

Honored Contributor

There is a lot more to the new Florida building codes than just strapping down the roofs. Most Florida homes are built of cement block covered with stucco but by the new codes every so many feet they have to fill the blocks for a ceratin amount of ft with concrete that had rebar going through it. When they were building in our plan we watched them bring in long pieces of rebar with a crane to put through the block then they had a machine that pumped the wet concrete in from the top. The straps for the roofing were also inbedded in that concrete all the way down at the footer.Of course storm shutters  that attach with bolts sunken into the concrete block and secured on the inside of the block are also required, and window glass that can take an impact at 250 MPH. without breaking.  Also all exterior doors must open outward not inward so the wind can't blow them in and all exterior doors must secure with a deadbolt. I'm sure there is more but I can't think of it right now.

Honored Contributor

Erika is no more.....she fell apart!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

They are still saying on the weather channel that Florida will be getting deluged with rain - just not the high damaging winds.

Respected Contributor

Does Clearwater ever get hit? I have a neighbor who is thinking about buying a mobile home there since they are so cheap. I looked up a few trailor parks on the internet and some of them are so cute.

I hate where I live and thought why shouldn't I move to Fl and enjoy the weather and water? I could live very cheaply there. Didn't think I would ever live in a mobile home park but thinking about it. I haven't been to Fl since the 70s.