Honored Contributor

Tropical storm Erika that is. Sure wish she would make a decision what path she is going to take. We are thankful we aren't down there but our house is and it is always a worry. It looks like one way or another all of Florida will be deluged with rain, and our area is already over the top with the water level as we have had a ton of rain. My DH said " It's ok we have flood insurance. There is nothing else we can do." So true.

Honored Contributor

Re: Looks like erika is coming

My mother actually just built a house down there near Orlando and when I asked about what they do for hurricanes she said they don't really get them there.  I am not saying one word right now because I still want to be in the will.  Smiley Happy

Actually at this point it doesn't look too bad so I think you and everyone else should stay very wet but standing.  Fingers crossed for both you and my mother.  

Honored Contributor

I own a development down in Florida and a few houses.  My daughter and her family live near Orlando.

When the big hurricane hit near Pensacola back in 2004 it totally took down a house my late husband was working on.  He and his partner each put down $500,000.

We had one heck of a time dealing with the insurance company.  They go by so much for wind damage, water damage and so it.  It is frustrating.  Luckily, I have an amazing business partner who was able to deal with these insurance idiots.  What a nightmare!  My late husband had to leve the area right before the storm hit because if you don't LIVE there you can't stay.

He died the day before he was to go back to see what was left of our house.  My daughter and I went down there.  Nothing was left.  A house that was valued at $1, 800,000, and only sticks were left.  Shows you the power of mother nature.

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry, annabelle.  I went through Andrew and if another hurricane ever comes near me, you will find my behind in Canada.  They are no joke.  

Honored Contributor

Laura14 - I think your Mom is living in a fools paradise but it's not my business. 

At least Erika is only going to be a cat 1 most likely. However, we live on a lake and the water level is already high so the extreme rain is scary.

Yes , they insure you for hurricanes very oddly. Flood insurance from FEMA - wind from the state (called Citizens insurance) and storm surge with your homeowners. In an actual hurricane - a big one like katrina was - they say there can be storm surge as far as 10 miles from the ocean. I live 1 1/2 miles from the ocean. I worry more about flood and storm surge than wind damage as our house was built to withstand a cat 5 per the Miami dade hurricane standards. All new builds in Florida since 2002 have been required to meet these standards. For example when they build the house they have to strap the roof joists to the ground. When they were building homes in our area we saw what all they do to meet these standards.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949  Believe me she knows better.  We lived in St Lucie county for several years.  She's just never been through a hurricane like I was.  We're from NJ so we only got the occasional skirt up the coast.  And I visited Orlando right after Charlie and they were shocked they had so much damage inland and I told her that when we had that conversation.  

I really do hope you do well.  In fact, I hope Erika spares you guys and comes up to GA and smacks our coast.  I have someone who lives in St Marys that I wouldn't mind giving a little grief too.  Now I need to say a few Hail Marys for that...  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Most recent NOAA predictions show it hitting the east coast of Florida, so we may escape the worst over here on the southwest coast. Last hurricane we had the was bad enough to have its name retired was Wilma in 2005. All it did to us was knock down a lot of our hedges. A next door neighbor had a big tree knocked into his pool cage. We can close up all openings as we have aluminum accordion shutters that work very well. We always have plenty of time to prepare, unlike the poor folks who live in tornado prone areas. 

Honored Contributor

Our friends who live in Hilton Head are praying it doesn't damage them but they are coming up to Pittsburgh next week just in case. i believe they are leaving sunday.

My small town has not had a direct hit from a hurricane in 47 years  so one may say it is due or we can say it is just a lucky place to live. When the center of hurricane Charlie came through only about 25 miles away our town never even lost electricity. Punta Gorda was almost entirely wiped out.This is the closest it has come in 47 years, however, i was told the big one 47 years ago completely wiped the town out.Not one building in our area left from before that storm.

Honored Contributor

we had a flood claim last year during the springtime.....during a particularly heavy rain. dont get too comfortable with your flood insurance and what it covers because it wont cover nearly half of what you expect, especially if you have a finished basement. unfortunately there is not a lot you can do except take a loss on your tax returns.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

When i was a kid in the 50's we would spend our school vacations in Cocoa and we were there for one very large hurricane. I was about 10 and I still completely remember it. It took the roof off the garage and deposited most of it in the pool and on the roof of the house. One wall of the house was taken off as well. Furniture etc all ruined. I remember we were all in the bathroom and my uncle was telling us stories when CRASH. My uncle came part way out of the bathroom then came back in and slammed the door , locked it and put our chairs up against it. we all sat there waiting to see if the hurricane would come into the bathroom but other than some water under the door we stayed safe, and eventually it moved on. The whole one side of the house was ruined but the other side , where the bedrooms were was pristine and we slept in our beds that night. My uncle had to tear the house down completely and rebuild.