Esteemed Contributor

Looks like Ring doorbell let employees look at customers encypted videos

Respected Contributor

Re: Looks like Ring doorbell let employees look at customers encypted videos

[ Edited ]

If they want to watch cars ride past my house and look at my packages being delivered, have at it. I love my Ring doorbell, one of my best purchases of 2018.

Trusted Contributor

thanx for posting that. my husband has been wanting to buy one. 

Honored Contributor

From that article:

"A Ring representative told The Intercept that the only videos employees view and annotate are those made public through Ring’s community watch app, Neighbors."  (apparently to train the software's object recognition)

and

"Although it doesn’t appear anything nefarious has occurred..."

Esteemed Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

From that article:

"A Ring representative told The Intercept that the only videos employees view and annotate are those made public through Ring’s community watch app, Neighbors."  (apparently to train the software's object recognition)

and

"Although it doesn’t appear anything nefarious has occurred..."

I don't believe that. I once saw employees laughing at customers photographs back in the day when you had them developed and when I reported it...the manager said "their employees don't do that".....

They aren't going to admit it and hurt sales......

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the info.  I think a security camera, like Nest, will suffice for now.  Maybe David will address the concern the next time he presents Ring.

Esteemed Contributor

JMO but the advent of technology has invaded our privacy. Yes,in some ways it’s made us safer.But It’s gone too far.

I was in a local store yesterday,on line waiting to pay for a pair of leggings.The lady in front of me noticed a monitor into the dressing room on a shelf under the register.She questioned it & was told that they needed it to avoid theft.”So you were watching me while I was changing?” The answer was “yes”. The three of us on line left our items  at the register & left!!

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

JMO but the advent of technology has invaded our privacy. Yes,in some ways it’s made us safer.But It’s gone too far.

I was in a local store yesterday,on line waiting to pay for a pair of leggings.The lady in front of me noticed a monitor into the dressing room on a shelf under the register.She questioned it & was told that they needed it to avoid theft.”So you were watching me while I was changing?” The answer was “yes”. The three of us on line left our items  at the register & left!!

This is why I no longer shop in stores for clothes if I need to try them on.  I think that they have all kinds of monitors on you..... it creeps me out!

Respected Contributor

I remember reading a story in the paper a few years back that reported that a guy who worked security at a big store was having a poker party and showing movies of women trying on clothes in the store's dressing room. Big ha ha till one of the guys at the poker party recognized HIS wife. Then not so funny and as I recall the poker game ended rather quickly. Ever since I read that I never try on clothing in any store. Try at home and return if necessary. I refuse to be "entertainment" for perves. So check out those "dressing" rooms for peepers!

Honored Contributor

@DJs mom wrote:

If they want to watch cars ride past my house and look at my packages being delivered, have at it. I love my Ring doorbell, one of my best purchases of 2018.

@DJs mom, I agree.  All they're going to see is the garbage truck driving by, a delivery person, and a squirrel chewing holes in our grill cover.  But, I won't allow an Alexa, Echo, or any personal assistant device in my home.  It's bad enough that our phones and TVs are listening in on us.  I always tell my TV goodnight in Russian just in case the CIA is listening in.  

I understand the need to stop theft, but I do think it's going too far with cameras in dressing rooms.  I do need to try on clothes before I buy, so I look around for cameras, but they are so small now you never know.