Honored Contributor

Re: Looks like Ring doorbell let employees look at customers encypted videos

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

JMO but the advent of technology has invaded our privacy. Yes,in some ways it’s made us safer.But It’s gone too far.

I was in a local store yesterday,on line waiting to pay for a pair of leggings.The lady in front of me noticed a monitor into the dressing room on a shelf under the register.She questioned it & was told that they needed it to avoid theft.”So you were watching me while I was changing?” The answer was “yes”. The three of us on line left our items  at the register & left!!

I was surprised to learn that many states have laws to permit cameras in dressing rooms.  Only 13 states prohibit it:  Alabama, Arkansas, California, Delaware, Georgia, Hawaii, Kansas, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, South Dakota and Utah.

Honored Contributor

I don't need one.

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

JMO but the advent of technology has invaded our privacy. Yes,in some ways it’s made us safer.But It’s gone too far.

I was in a local store yesterday,on line waiting to pay for a pair of leggings.The lady in front of me noticed a monitor into the dressing room on a shelf under the register.She questioned it & was told that they needed it to avoid theft.”So you were watching me while I was changing?” The answer was “yes”. The three of us on line left our items  at the register & left!!

I was surprised to learn that many states have laws to permit cameras in dressing rooms.  Only 13 states prohibit it:  Alabama, Arkansas, California, Delaware, Georgia, Hawaii, Kansas, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, South Dakota and Utah.

@Mj12, thanks.  Makes me feel better since I live in one of those states.

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Thanks for the info.  I think a security camera, like Nest, will suffice for now.  Maybe David will address the concern the next time he presents Ring.

@ValuSkr, how do you think Nest, Arlo and the plethora of other wifi dependent cameras work?  The video is livestreamed to the cloud just as the Ring doorbell, floodlight and other products are.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

Thanks for the info.  I think a security camera, like Nest, will suffice for now.  Maybe David will address the concern the next time he presents Ring.

@ValuSkr, how do you think Nest, Arlo and the plethora of other wifi dependent cameras work?  The video is livestreamed to the cloud just as the Ring doorbell, floodlight and other products are.

@Marp  Yes, of course, they all work in a similar fashion.  But no one's claimed yet that employees of the other firms review your videos.

Honored Contributor

I don't have or use Ring, but I thought that you had to pay a extra fee monthly to have your videos stored for viewing long term.

I would guess that only the people who pay for the storage would have had the  possibility of having their videos shared and viewed???

Honored Contributor

I don't have one but I wouldn't care of they looked at people coming in and out of my front door or the cars driving by.  

Valued Contributor

@DJs mom wrote:

If they want to watch cars ride past my house and look at my packages being delivered, have at it. I love my Ring doorbell, one of my best purchases of 2018.

ITA - what is there to see? Much ado about nothing. We love our Ring doorbell!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think some of you are missing the point by saying who cares, what are they seeing anyhow.   The fact of the matter is, they ARE seeing it at all, no matter how lame it might be.

@NicksmomESQ, I used to work in a drugstore.  Of course we all looked through peoples' photos when they came in from developing.   That manager that told you that doesn't happen probably did too.

Respected Contributor

I feel if anybody is watching your premises, it must be for a reason. Otherwise, why would they do it?  People don’t usually invest their time for no reason.