Esteemed Contributor

Looking through my closets and finding some duplicates

I am not sure if I should feel embarrassed or just plain stupid.  I was purging and I found duplicate items down to the same color.  I am talking not only about QVC orders but some from catalogues.  Anyone out there have this happen and what do you do when you find out.  Too late to make the return.  

Valued Contributor

Re: Looking through my closets and finding some duplicates

@bonnielu, don't be so hard on yourself! We all have our specific taste (and weaknesses). Apparently, looking in my closet, I have a real thing for black blazers! Tailored, clean lines, different fabrics, but none-the-less, black blazers. Now that we know, and own up to our obsessions, we'll do better. I promise, I won't buy one more black blazer. LuLu
Super Contributor

It has happened to me as well.   I feel it means that I really liked the item and it is nice to have one to wear and a spare.

Honored Contributor

I might not have duplicates, but I have a boatload of black tops. I just love black and gray, and I don't care for bright colors, so I don't see this trend changing.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@bonnielua lot of people say that if you find something that you love get more than one.I guess you loved those items or at least I hope you do.

Esteemed Contributor

Sort of sounds like you need to keep the ones you love and start wearing them, donate the ones that you dont like, and start watching something other than the shopping channels!

Respected Contributor

I have some duplicates that I bought on sale so that I'd always have a back up if something happened to one of them. I also have around 8 black leather skirts, but of different styles. Remembering the times as a young single working girl with a limited wardrobe, I know i'm blessed with all I have now.

Honored Contributor

When I retired I went through most of my work clothes. I ended up donating several bags of clothes, I knew I would never wear. But in going through the clothing I found MANY items that I has two of AND many items that I had three of. Same color, same size and same style. Then I also found items that were never opened.

I have at least 6 pairs of the same black slacks and 4 pairs of the same slacks in navy blue. In additional to all the numerous other black slacks.  I have no idea what I was thinking when I ordered all this stuff. I have donated so much yet I still have packed closets of clothing I will probably never wear.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bonnieluthank you for this post it makes me feel so much better. . When I cleaned out my closet this Spring to make room for the new I found that two of the new items I had just purchased I already had, also in the same colors as the old.  I felt like an idoit,  LOL.  I was standing there thinking  " for sure I'm loosing it, how could I have done this ? " Needless to say I didn't tell my DH,  I would never hear the end of it, " see you have so many clothes you don't even know what you have ect. ect."  Hence mums been the word !!! 

Honored Contributor

I purposely buy duplicates (actually waaaay more than duplicates) when I find something I love.

I live in black capris and black yoga pants about 9 months out of the year.  And I keep two houses stocked with plenty of these so I don't have to pack outfits.

I'm also really finicky as my blacks have to be black so I like to have backup pairs to wear.

Jeans and shorts I rarely buy duplicates.

If I were you, I'd keep the items with the tags still on them and when the originals start to look 'worn', I'd pull out the brand new and start wearing them.