Honored Contributor

Re: Looking through my closets and finding some duplicates

@151949 wrote:

I would be embarrassed to say I have clothes I did not know I had, and I would be seriously rethinking my shopping habits.I am frequently amazed by posters on this board who say they have clothes they have never worn. That would also make me rethink my spending/shopping habit. 

That said - I admit to a weakness for purses and I do have a few I hardly ever use. I really have to hold myself back when it comes to purses , and lately also to shoes.

@151949  So I guess you are in the same boat as everyone else on this thread.  Buying more than you really need.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

I am not sure if I should feel embarrassed or just plain stupid.  I was purging and I found duplicate items down to the same color.  I am talking not only about QVC orders but some from catalogues.  Anyone out there have this happen and what do you do when you find out.  Too late to make the return.  

@bonnielu  Sometimes if I buy something "off season" on sale it will be put away and then when the right season comes along I may not remember that particular purchase.

I do buy some items in multiples; even sometimes the same color.  I have some coordinating pieces that look good with certain colors so buying 2 layering pieces of the same color makes sense to me.

And being short I definitely will buy more than one pair of the same pants that fit well.

You are not alone in this; you are not stupid.  Everyone has bought items they have forgotten about.

You can always donate your duplicates to a woman's shelter; especially unused items for homeless women looking to get back into the work force.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

When Chico’s opened here many years ago and I was still working, I fell in love with the Travelers line.  Over time I needed to create an excel spreadsheet which showed by color which pieces I already had.

when you consider jackets, sleeveless tunics, long-sleeved tunics, vests, slacks, long skirts, etc.....it made sense and saved me $ and trips back to return duplicates.

Most of those it clothes have gone to my working niece who is probably the best-dressed gal, lol !

Key colors, black, cobalt and hunter green are still in my closet and do get worn !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

I have done this ,the thing is i sometimes forget i had bought it,or them.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I do that intentionally with clothes, especially pants and jeans. With tops I usually buy the same item in different colors or patterns, but with pants I'll buy more than one in the same basic colors because pants and jeans I love are harder to find, so I'll buy as many as I can afford.

When it comes to unintentional duplicates, tend to do that with colors. I'll have four different tops of different styles and brandss, but all in the same color. I keep buying the same lipstick and nail polish shades over and over again, sometimes by different brands, sometimes the exact same one. My favorite colors are in the green-blue family - anything from pale aquas to deep teals. My secondary colors are orange and purple, but most of my closet is shades of aqua or turqoise in the spring/summer and teal in the fall/winter.

Honored Contributor

My closets re full of duplicates.  E.g.  I probably have 40 black turtleneck shirts and equal number of duplicates in white.

Forget about pants - I almost always buy two or more pair in the same color if they are "faves."

I don't see an issue having duplicates.

Honored Contributor

I buy duplicates of items like tees, jeans, pants, cardigans, even shoes. If I find a basic I like, I buy it in more than one color or sometimes the same color. I have a few tees that are identical in color and style because I wear those colors and styles often so if one is dirty then I still have one to wear. I do not buy duplicates of memorable items or prints. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ALRATIBA

Wait, you own 80 turtlenecks?   80?   I don't think I own 80 items of clothing.   Smiley Wink