Honored Contributor

Re: Looking things up online

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Look it's not mandatory to answer these posts, so what's the problem ??

A problem for many is posts such as yours. It's off-topic and deliberately rude. But it comes with the territory, so I won't be running to hide under the bed, sorry.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Preds wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Preds wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

IMHO, often asking someone how to do XYZ gives up info that is more helpful than ANY book or site can provide. I read all the books on childbirth but GIVING birth gave me insight that NO book could.

Same thing when applying for Social Security for my son; I did research and I called and I ordered pamphlets and OMG.... I was lost. I asked here and so many offered advice, help, insight that they had gained having gone through it themselves.

That's the answer for you; We ask here because of the insight from those who have actually gone through it themselves.

@SahmIam, I don't mean people asking others for their personal knowledge or advice. I'm not talking about going to a website to learn to ride a bike (for example), but rather asking  "where can I buy ABC shampoo" when a 10-second google will tell you.  You can ask "what do you all think of ABC shampoo?" and get feedback and advice and maybe where to buy gets thrown into the conversation. But I'm talking asking flat out simple, not complicated and not subjective questions.

A simple answer ... "Easy for you, difficult for me."  Nothing personal, but for some, it is.  Not everyone is comfy on the 'puter.  They may feel "safe" asking here first.

If the person is that comfortable to figure out how to post on a message board, I would think it would be a breeze to "Google."  One click & you're in!  Or enter keyword & click!  Depends on how your browser is set up.

Just saying......

And my keyword may be different than yours.  I may know it but am unsure how to ask it. 

Just saying ....

@Preds the web server will STILL send you the same results.  You don't need a key word.  You can type in a whole question or sentence....

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

One more thing, people often get different results for the same search, look it up, LOL.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also understand that most people do not realize that just running the curser over an area will open a website and that you have to look up information from a reliable source; WebMD. Mayo clinic, Cleveland Clinic, etc. and not just patients opinions.

I had a friend who actually thought that "people" were sitting and watching everything he did on the computer.  He called them the "little men" in his computer.   He could not comprehend that most of the information on the screen were just advertisements for products.  If he saw an ad for Tumeric, he thought somebody knew he needed it!

Computers, tablets and smartphones intimidate!

Esteemed Contributor

Hello @Moonchilde

I can, and do look things up throughout the day. 

When I ask a question, I'm usually looking for the knowledge that only comes from personal experience, rather than from Google or someone's opinion.

It's one thing to read a 'how-to' and follow directions.

But those little helpful tricks you only learn by doing, and maybe making mistakes and learning the hard way, are seldom in the user manual, (or recipie). That's the help I'm looking for.

Honored Contributor

"They learn enough to read email and get QVC! "

837514213.gifSo true.

"Some people scoff at google because it apparently is not a reliable source and is not where the smart set goes for their information."

Reminds me of this State Farm commercial.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_CgPsGY5Mw

"The posts that I don't like are the ones with the teaser heading."

And the cryptic headings.  And lets not forget about the headings you need to be a CrystalBallFortuneTellerSmiley copy.gifto figure out.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis  "Banter". That is exactly the word I should have used.

I get what you're saying. In the end, I suppose it simply isn't something that bugs me. I read it and skip over if I feel they should be researching their question somewhere else than a community forum where, as you eloquently pointed out, wrong information is commonly supplied.

Esteemed Contributor

I like this one...Lincoln quote

Honored Contributor

Thank you @itiswhatitis.  I know this and use it more than I should need to.  I'm not afraid to ask the "stupid" question.  Don't remember as much as I once knew but still proud of what I hope I do.  LOL  Just need a kickstart once in while. Smiley Wink  Maybe others feel the same way.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

I also understand that most people do not realize that just running the curser over an area will open a website and that you have to look up information from a reliable source; WebMD. Mayo clinic, Cleveland Clinic, etc. and not just patients opinions.

I had a friend who actually thought that "people" were sitting and watching everything he did on the computer.  He called them the "little men" in his computer.   He could not comprehend that most of the information on the screen were just advertisements for products.  If he saw an ad for Tumeric, he thought somebody knew he needed it!

Computers, tablets and smartphones intimidate!

@Zhills

Really Zhills?  Ay yi yi  !!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986