Regular Contributor

Re: Looking things up online

You can just ignore those people who are too "lazy" to look it up.

i personally wouldn't put the time or thought you put into your post worrying about it.

Honored Contributor

Probably a few different reasons. I can see a couple. As one poster said, for a view from someone here who actually had the experience. Also, to start a conversation. Goodness knows we need some. This forum is becoming duller than dirt.

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

I am an avid researcher.  If I post a question it's usually because I wonder how others would handle something, or the experiences they have had with something . . . not to ask what something is because I always know that before I post.

Opinions and experience with certain issues cannot be found on the Internet.  One can read "comments," but I'd rather have the comments of someone I know, then comments from strangers six years ago.

Yes,i want to know what others think,experiences and that is important.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

I am the Queen of Google, I have even been asked to look up long lost friends of people in my life who have hit a road block trying to find them, with a little initiative and some time you can find almost anything you want!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Believe it or not there are people that have problems using a search engine to find info they are seeking. My dad & MIL are 2 of them. Now my younger sister emails me all the time for info. She's too lazy to do it herself. I don't mind looking it up to help others. Sometimes I may ask just for conversation.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LilacTree wrote:

I am an avid researcher.  If I post a question it's usually because I wonder how others would handle something, or the experiences they have had with something . . . not to ask what something is because I always know that before I post.

Opinions and experience with certain issues cannot be found on the Internet.  One can read "comments," but I'd rather have the comments of someone I know, then comments from strangers six years ago.

I love research.  I think some folks don't really understand how computers work and what they can do for you.  They learn enough to read email and get QVC!  Also, I think a lot of people are on a phone or tablet.  I do not like using my 7" screen to read something I am really interested in.  Even email.

I don't get reposting the news.  Between TV, Radio and the internet, WHO didn't hear it already?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cwoldie wrote:

You can just ignore those people who are too "lazy" to look it up.

i personally wouldn't put the time or thought you put into your post worrying about it.

@Cwoldie   She didn't say she was worried about it, she said she wondered why people don't look things up themselves.

That shows curiosity, not worry.

BTW, most intelligent people don't have to put time and thought into a post, it's just there spontaneously.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Probably a few different reasons. I can see a couple. As one poster said, for a view from someone here who actually had the experience. Also, to start a conversation. Goodness knows we need some. This forum is becoming duller than dirt.

You said it, @proudlyfromNJ

Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

I love research.  I think some folks don't really understand how computers work and what they can do for you.  They learn enough to read email and get QVC!  Also, I think a lot of people are on a phone or tablet.  I do not like using my 7" screen to read something I am really interested in.  Even email.

@Zhills That's a big part of the problem.

When my MIL first starting using a computer she thought the email in the subject line was the full email. She was not opening her email only reading the subject line.

That would work if my sister was emailing her. That's where she normally puts all her text??? Sometimes I have to copy & paste so I can read it without hovering my mouse over it.

It's a good thing DH can get on my dad's computer remote from our house when he's having problems because we can never figure out what he's talking about.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

IMHO, often asking someone how to do XYZ gives up info that is more helpful than ANY book or site can provide. I read all the books on childbirth but GIVING birth gave me insight that NO book could.

Same thing when applying for Social Security for my son; I did research and I called and I ordered pamphlets and OMG.... I was lost. I asked here and so many offered advice, help, insight that they had gained having gone through it themselves.

That's the answer for you; We ask here because of the insight from those who have actually gone through it themselves.

@SahmIam, I don't mean people asking others for their personal knowledge or advice. I'm not talking about going to a website to learn to ride a bike (for example), but rather asking  "where can I buy ABC shampoo" when a 10-second google will tell you.  You can ask "what do you all think of ABC shampoo?" and get feedback and advice and maybe where to buy gets thrown into the conversation. But I'm talking asking flat out simple, not complicated and not subjective questions.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all