Honored Contributor

Re: Looking things up online

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

One more thing, people often get different results for the same search, look it up, LOL.

That's where intelligence and reasoning count, LOL.

@Moonchilde

Yes, and being very familiar with A LOT of various sources.  For sure, there are some I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

@Noel7

And as others have mentioned and we all know, the information given out on these forums is usually obtained from the same variety of sources available to all online. Individuals do gravitate to certain sources and discount others due to their personal POV. That's human nature and I think unavoidable. And people should always have that in mind.

On just about any given topic one will find opposing, diametrically different "proofs." Once I post my source (on the rare occasions I feel the need) and people start in on the source (if they do), I'm done. When it gets down to "My source is accurate, yours is biased kwap" I just SMH and Walk On. Because that could go on forever - dueling facts.

@Moonchilde

I understand what you're saying, but referring to my earlier post, I had in mind a very specific data source, not news and not opinion, which is in actuality a notorious outlier and proven so.

Opinion and POV are a different thing.

Let me add, it's like quoting The Flat Earth Society.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom, I'm right there with your second paragraph - I too can get lost for hours.

But I understand that few of us love to do that as much as those "researchers" who have posted in this thread. I get that, and why people might only want to go, or be able to go, so far.

But the really simple, straightforward questions that require little to no effort? I'd be embarrassed.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde,  I understand what you're really asking, and to that, I'm as baffled as you are.

I spend volunteer time with younger people who literally grew up with Google in their pocket, yet constantly ask me and each other questions that I would've directed straight to Google.

Some people actively avoid self-reliance when it comes to Googling up an answer to a simple question. Even when they look it up they'll ask others in the room to confirm they're drawing an accurate conclusion. 

○     ○     ○     ○     ○     ○     ○     ○     ○     ○     ○     ○   

IMO very little banter, but TONS of nattering.

Esteemed Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Zhills wrote:

I like this one...Lincoln quote

Good one.  Abraham Lincoln didn't say this.  LOL.

No.  Abe was actually quoting George Washington. Smiley Wink

@Mz iMac, lol.  I don't get it.  LOL.  None of them were born when internet became famous.  I'm missing something?  If you don't mind.....please enlighten me.  Bwahhhhh.....Woman Embarassed

Just proves the fact that anyone who is willing to buy time on a Internet Server and type up a page or picture can post ANYTHING on the internet!  Pictures are created with software and you can put President Trump sitting in Lincoln's lap at the Lincoln Memorial.  

Don't believe something just because it is on the internet!

Some of the OPs on this BB post conflicting information about the same subject.  Depends on the day and mood.

Esteemed Contributor

Let's not forget that if you aren't writing a thesis.........oft times you can just go to a government website (for those kinds of questons) for the answers you need.

Medical issues?  A wealth of information we should read and then take to our physician to inquire.  Please note I speak to mainstream websites and not those with questionable intents and purposes.

Your own local website of the town, state you live in.  No one needs computer literacy for this.

I suggest we all:

Bookmark out State's official website

Your localty's website

Your local newspaper website if applicable

Official Us.gov website

Credible source for medical info (which you should discuss with your doctor).

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Zhills wrote:

@Mz iMac, lol.  I don't get it.  LOL.  None of them were born when internet became famous.  I'm missing something?  If you don't mind.....please enlighten me.  Bwahhhhh.....Woman Embarassed

@itiswhatitis

Watch this old State Farm commercial...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_CgPsGY5Mw

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Zhills wrote:

@itiswhatitis

Watch this old State Farm commercial...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_CgPsGY5Mw

Thanks @Mz iMac

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

Example: It's more fun to, say, ask about a recipe for 'this' and for 'that'.  Sure, we can all find millions of exact recipies for exactly what we are looking (for)..........But, it's more fun to ask other posters for thier favorites.  It's all being a part of a 'community' of sorts.  Chatting about 'this and that', in a friendly way.  Sort of a friendly gathering of nice online 'friends'.  .......... Dare I say that it could be rather lonely, looking up (Web searching) every single thing in life.  Sort of (slightly and more or less) anti-social, if you ask me.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

IMHO, often asking someone how to do XYZ gives up info that is more helpful than ANY book or site can provide. I read all the books on childbirth but GIVING birth gave me insight that NO book could.

Same thing when applying for Social Security for my son; I did research and I called and I ordered pamphlets and OMG.... I was lost. I asked here and so many offered advice, help, insight that they had gained having gone through it themselves.

That's the answer for you; We ask here because of the insight from those who have actually gone through it themselves.

@SahmIam, I don't mean people asking others for their personal knowledge or advice. I'm not talking about going to a website to learn to ride a bike (for example), but rather asking  "where can I buy ABC shampoo" when a 10-second google will tell you.  You can ask "what do you all think of ABC shampoo?" and get feedback and advice and maybe where to buy gets thrown into the conversation. But I'm talking asking flat out simple, not complicated and not subjective questions.

Ok, well, because they're part of a conversation. Look at this way:

You're at a dinner party. Someone mentions a shampoo. Do you A) ask, "oh, where can I get that?" or B) whip out your phone to look up where you can purchase the item while everyone looks at you.

We're sort on real time here. It's part of conversation. I asked on a beauty thread where to purchase Josie Marans large tubs of whipped moisturizer (because it just mentioned they were available). I knew it was either here or on her site but simply asked as part of a conversation. No one answered me, lol, so eventually I looked it up. I suppose, by your definition, I was lazy. Alrighty then, lol.

In the end, why does it matter? Being honest, I've never asked myself that when reading a thread and something like that pops up.

Last, yeah, I'm a researcher. I've had to be in order to do the work I once did and earn the degrees I have. Still, I'll ask when in a conversation.

@SahmIam,

Me personally? Unless it was a shampoo I suspected might only be available at 1-2 salons, I would google as readily as I would ask, or more ;-)

Your scenario posits someone else as first mentioning the shampoo. My point was more if you had started (out of the blue without it being mentioned) a conversation by asking "anyone know where I can buy this shampoo (that no one had previously been talking about)?" That's the sort of easily and quickly searchable type of question I'm talking about.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Example: It's more fun to, say, ask about a recipe for 'this' and for 'that'.  Sure, we can all find millions of exact recipies for exactly what we are looking (for)..........But, it's more fun to ask other posters for thier favorites.  It's all being a part of a 'community' of sorts.  Chatting about 'this and that', in a friendly way.  Sort of a friendly gathering of nice online 'friends'.  .......... Dare I say that it could be rather lonely, looking up (Web searching) every single thing in life.  Sort of (slightly and more or less) anti-social, if you ask me.  

@ROMARY that's not what the OP means.  Read through the posts.

*Call Tyrone*