Honored Contributor

I was on the second floor of my apartment before moving here, and all I ever saw when looking out of the window was the highway in the distance and one scraggly looking tree in front of a fence.  I didn't mind it that much though.

Here my bedroom window is street level and my computer is right next to it.  I see people going by all the time.  Since this complex is all one and two-bedroom apartments, most folks are middle-aged and older.  When I do see children, they are usually with their grandparents.  Not enough room for families here.  It's a nice neighborhood though.

When the really older folks walk by, it is slowly, somewhat bent over, sometimes couples holding hands (I always smile at that), other times walking their pets, sometimes on bicycles (I envy them), sometimes in wheelchairs being pushed by someone else, and often, some are quite sprightly, walking at a good pace (I envy them too).  Then I see some walking by using walkers, some still walk straight and tall, others walk bent over, but they are trying and that's the important thing.

That's when I think to myself, well, they've probably got some single digit years left in them, still some life to enjoy. But mostly they live on memories of the past, times when life was busy, joyful, hard often, sad when loved ones died, happy when new lives began, always something going on, and with the energy to participate and even guide and help others.  And those memories are so cherished. 

And that's when I realize . . . OMG!!  That's me!! 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

Re: Looking out of my window

Very well written, Lilac Tree.

Here is a poem my daughter wrote in the secoond grade. She calls it "My First Poem", but then gives it another title.

Out of My Window

Out of my window

there's a field.

It is empty, and

lonely,

and quiet.

I liked it. Last night from that same window, I was awakened by the sounds of the coyote pack making a kill. They sounded really close. I think it was a rabbit as I could hear the bleating.

Honored Contributor

I live in an over 55 community in Florida. For the most part I love it . When I look out the windows I have a beautiful lake view and can watch all the gorgeous Florida water birds. Like many new Florida homes the street side of the house is not where the front door is - that is on the side. They take a ranch house here and turn it on the lot so the short side of the house faces the street and that has the garage door and the length of the house is front to back instead of side to side. Then they put the houses on a beautiful view like a lake or a park or wooded area or a golf course in the rear and put the living rooms in the back of the house. This way they can fit many more homes onto the property, increasing their profit and yet the people living in them don't feel like they are right on top of their neighbors because of the beautiful views. It is actually very clever.Our neighbors walk by , bike by or drive by all day long and unless we would sit in the driveway, we never see or hear them. When we have company they love to be out on our lanai, see the birds and the water or watch the sunsets. A beautiful, peaceful place for us to spend our senior years.

Honored Contributor

OMG, one of the houses we lived in backed up to woods and a small stream, and often we would hear that horrible bleating sound, sometimes over and over again when a nest was uncovered by a cat, or another large animal.  My window there backed up to those woods, and I would put my hands over my ears, my head under the pillow, and sometimes leave my room and go into the bathroom and turn the shower on until it was over.  It was an intolerable sound.

I hope your daughter kept up with her poetry, that is a lovely poem coming from a second grader. 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

My father lived in Florida with his second wife (my mom had died) for 25 years.  Their house was not like that, but he loved it down there.  We hardly ever saw him once he moved. 

It does sound lovely where you are.

Formerly Ford1224