Honored Contributor

Looking for new electric car.

[ Edited ]

Some people might not know but my husband has electric cars for over 9 years now.  We always purchased new and leased them.  Our current car lease is coming due and we're starting to look around for a new one.  Things have greatly improved for electric cars.  The new one from Mercedes has a 300 mile range before charging.  The new ones (like our current one) can park itself.  My husband tested it out in a deserted parking lot, and yes it parked itself. He still parks it himself (in control) now, but the new cars are have even better radar & warning systems. They have automatic high & low beams.  cruise contro & some steering & knows to keep a distance from cars in frontl.  All 2023 new cars (electric & gas driven) will have semi-autonomous features in them.  It's an option for the driver.  One pedal drive. They just have the accelerator pedal (can't call it gas pedal)  If you lift your foot, it breaks.  Car has warning system to guide car to a stop, or a sharp break if needed. My husband is ued to driving with one pedal now.  Again there is the driver option to use the two pedal system.  

This is the car he's looking at.  He wants the all wheel drive, but that won't be available till next year.  It has plenty room to transport & carry things in the front (and back) no engine.  The car sits on a giant battery) and in the back. Electric cars look exactly like gas cars.  But no tail pipe and they don't make any noise. They make artificial noise inside. We're used to the startled looks of people when we drive by. More and more people are buying electric cars.  Certainly more then in 2012 when we got our first electric car.

2021 bmw i4 front three quarter

Valued Contributor

Re: Looking for new electric car.

Tesla

Esteemed Contributor

I would only buy an SUV. I'm not into cars but how about Audi?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

After our recent Texas artic storm and experience without electricity the 22600 electric auto owners here in our city are rethinking their choices.   

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

I think the car in the photo is a BMW. I guess you are comparing it to the current Mercedes your husband drives now to evaluate it as the replacement vehicle. Those are very expensive models and out of range for my budget. 

I also have to park my car in the street, so I am not clear about how to keep an electric car charged when parked in a street, not a garage.  

it's those two factors that discourage me from owning or leasing an electric car. I'm sure prices will ease and charging solutions for street parking may improve. A couple of American car manufacturers have vowed to produce only electric vehicles in about 10 years. So choices of such cars will broaden. 

I own a gas fueled car that is still practical and affordable and will suit me for quite a while. I hope you find the car that is just perfect for your needs. For me, it's so unrealistic I couldn't help with any suggestions. 

Honored Contributor

@lucky-girl wrote:

Tesla

We test drove a Tesla.  I liked it a lot, but my husband didn't like the display screen just to the right of him.  He wanted it directly in front of him.  I loved the room in the front and back trunks. 

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

Audi has an electric car.  But we haven't tried it yet.

Honored Contributor

@gizmogal wrote:

I think the car in the photo is a BMW. I guess you are comparing it to the current Mercedes your husband drives now to evaluate it as the replacement vehicle. Those are very expensive models and out of range for my budget. 

I also have to park my car in the street, so I am not clear about how to keep an electric car charged when parked in a street, not a garage.  

it's those two factors that discourage me from owning or leasing an electric car. I'm sure prices will ease and charging solutions for street parking may improve. A couple of American car manufacturers have vowed to produce only electric vehicles in about 10 years. So choices of such cars will broaden. 

I own a gas fueled car that is still practical and affordable and will suit me for quite a while. I hope you find the car that is just perfect for your needs. For me, it's so unrealistic I couldn't help with any suggestions. 

Of American cars, Ford has an electric car out.  We were going to see it the other day, but cancelled due to the weather.  I had mixed feelings.  We have a Mercedes.  Going to a Ford is really kind of "down"  although Fords' reputation (thanks to its' truck) has improved.  We'll stay with German cars.  We've always had either a BMW or a Mercedes. 

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

Toyota for us, we need plenty of room .  Toyota Sienna love that van

dhtq0jBGlkqN.jpg

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@gizmogal wrote:

Of American cars, Ford has an electric car out.  We were going to see it the other day, but cancelled due to the weather.  I had mixed feelings.  We have a Mercedes.  Going to a Ford is really kind of "down"  although Fords' reputation (thanks to its' truck) has improved.  We'll stay with German cars.  We've always had either a BMW or a Mercedes. 

The only car Ford sells is the Mustang.  Everything else is a truck or SUV.