Respected Contributor

I'm looking for a spray and leave in foam hair volumizer that doesn't make your hair greasy.  I want volume and shiney hair, if possible!  Your thoughts!

Respected Contributor

Re: Looking for Hair Volumizer

[ Edited ]

I found this line at Ulta. Lightweight, not greasy, and works. ETA: found it at a cheaper $ on Amazon.

505196CB-CCCD-4A58-BCAF-54DF1291040F.png

Esteemed Contributor

@fortune

Fortune,

I sincerely hope you're successful in your search, because I was in the same boat: and spent half a fortune on products.  I have slightly more hair on the back of my head, which is not unusual, but really needed more volume where it really counts.  Additionally, I have a natural curve/curl to my slightly fine hair that has driven me to distraction and anguish for so long.  I only looked great when I walked out of the salon after a color and cut.  Know what I mean?

All the foams tried over the years failed me miserably.  Then, my stylist in the Hillcrest district of San Diego, Chris, started using a spray on my hair: Brand is RUSK, product is called "thickr myst."  It's a fine mist that I spray on and then massage in.  Not only do I get volume, but when I use my curling iron, it really helps bump that up with heat activation.  I purchase it now in Amazon.

My next revelation came just 6 months ago (we had moved to a new city and state, so I lost Chris).  I was chatting with Angela, my new stylist, about my long time desire to have Diana Ross' hair (Diana Ross and the Supremes).  I so wanted her hair, but that darn natural curl wave thing just wouldn't let my hair get straight enough.  Again, over the years, I had paid another half fortune on just about every straightener product with next to zero results.  However, Angela introduced me to: Brand "ENJOY," (the shampoo and conditioner of which I have used since San Diego Chris got me going with this when the company was brand new) and their newer product is called "Shaping Lotion."  O-M-Gosh!!!  Just a scant quarter size mooshed all over the hands and applied thoroughly to my hair allows me to blow dry my hair to a condition of being straight!  And, it stays like that until my next shampoo.  I have no idea how it works, but with the "thickr myst" and "Shaping Lotion," I've now got volume, plus the managable hair that I can make look like Dianna Ross'.  I now have happy hair.  (Anyone with straight hair will think I'm nuts.  Believe me, if you've wrestled with natural curl/waves your entire life and you're me, you'd want them gone.)

(I wrote all of this down just in case it might help someone else.)

And, hope someone can hop on here and provide you with an honest-to-goodness foam solution that really, really works, because I never found one.

Happy New Year!

Respected Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@fortune

Fortune,

I sincerely hope you're successful in your search, because I was in the same boat: and spent half a fortune on products.  I have slightly more hair on the back of my head, which is not unusual, but really needed more volume where it really counts.  Additionally, I have a natural curve/curl to my slightly fine hair that has driven me to distraction and anguish for so long.  I only looked great when I walked out of the salon after a color and cut.  Know what I mean?

All the foams tried over the years failed me miserably.  Then, my stylist in the Hillcrest district of San Diego, Chris, started using a spray on my hair: Brand is RUSK, product is called "thickr myst."  It's a fine mist that I spray on and then massage in.  Not only do I get volume, but when I use my curling iron, it really helps bump that up with heat activation.  I purchase it now in Amazon.

My next revelation came just 6 months ago (we had moved to a new city and state, so I lost Chris).  I was chatting with Angela, my new stylist, about my long time desire to have Diana Ross' hair (Diana Ross and the Supremes).  I so wanted her hair, but that darn natural curl wave thing just wouldn't let my hair get straight enough.  Again, over the years, I had paid another half fortune on just about every straightener product with next to zero results.  However, Angela introduced me to: Brand "ENJOY," (the shampoo and conditioner of which I have used since San Diego Chris got me going with this when the company was brand new) and their newer product is called "Shaping Lotion."  O-M-Gosh!!!  Just a scant quarter size mooshed all over the hands and applied thoroughly to my hair allows me to blow dry my hair to a condition of being straight!  And, it stays like that until my next shampoo.  I have no idea how it works, but with the "thickr myst" and "Shaping Lotion," I've now got volume, plus the managable hair that I can make look like Dianna Ross'.  I now have happy hair.  (Anyone with straight hair will think I'm nuts.  Believe me, if you've wrestled with natural curl/waves your entire life and you're me, you'd want them gone.)

(I wrote all of this down just in case it might help someone else.)

And, hope someone can hop on here and provide you with an honest-to-goodness foam solution that really, really works, because I never found one.

Happy New Year!

@sfnative

Thanks SO much for taking the time to answer my post!  I'll give Thickr Myst a try!  16x16_heart.png

Esteemed Contributor

@fortune

Hi Furtune,

If you purchase this from Amazon and go into the Reviews, you will note some people were not happy with their results.  It's difficult to know why, what other products they may have placed on their hair prior to the thickr myst, how they applied it, etc.

Givem that, I'll tell you that I swear by this product and purchase it 2 at a time from Amazon.  When spraying it on, I'll slightly splay the fingers of my left hand and pick up hair with those fingers, starting at the roots, start spraying, and quickly move my fingers to the tips of the hair.  This all occurs quickly.  But the deal is-if you don't spray the roots, as well as the shaft, the end result just won't be what's needed.

So, if I'm going to myst the right side of my wet hair by and above my right ear, I reach over my head, pick up my hair with my slightly splayed ringers and start mysting.  *You don't have to spray much at all!  Please keep this in mind.

I do hope you have as much success with this product as I have, as it's been a staple with me for over 10 years.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative  I just ordered the thickr myst. My hair is baby fine, but I have a lot of it

I let my hair air dry ,and it has a bit of curl. Today at dinner, one of the waiters, who is also a hairstylist, told me how nice my hair looks. He asked me about what products I use ,and I told him just a volumizing shampoo. Other things only weigh it down ,so I don't use them. I use elnet hairspray and that's it. My hair is in very good condition

I just wish the curl wouldn't droop after a bit, so I am going to give this a try to see how it works out

Thank you

Respected Contributor

I have very fine hair and on the days I wash my hair, I use Paul Mitchell lemon/sage volumizing mist. However on the days that I don't wash my hair, I use Nick Chavez expander and it is the bomb on those days. I also use Nick Chavez soft flocker for volume and it gives me some stiffness to my hair which I need otherwise my hair is so fine that it falls flat. 

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@sfnative  I just ordered the thickr myst. My hair is baby fine, but I have a lot of it

I let my hair air dry ,and it has a bit of curl. Today at dinner, one of the waiters, who is also a hairstylist, told me how nice my hair looks. He asked me about what products I use ,and I told him just a volumizing shampoo. Other things only weigh it down ,so I don't use them. I use elnet hairspray and that's it. My hair is in very good condition

I just wish the curl wouldn't droop after a bit, so I am going to give this a try to see how it works out

Thank you

@cherry

Hi Cherry,

Oh, I do so hope it works for you.

I went into it, with stylist Chris, with what he called medium fine hair with natural curl/wave.  My hair really becomes impossible in fog, light rain, rain- you name it.  It just curls up something awful.

But now I get the volume I need and having added the Shaping Lotion 6 months ago, I don't get curly and such when the weather gets contrary.

Good luck - I so love this product.  Happy New Year!

Valued Contributor

I like Big and Sexy Root Pump. Always buy mine at TJ Maxx 

Respected Contributor

I've been using Bumble & Bumble Thickening products and am very happy with them. I learned from taking them in for my hair stylist to use when I have my hair done that less is more with the styling products. Just a tiny bit works great. Using more than about a quarter sized dollop of the foam was too much and made my hair icky-sticky.

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~