Esteemed Contributor

Re: Looking at a townhouse to buy

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Esteemed Contributor

Many condo associations do not allow gardens, so check that out.
My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Esteemed Contributor

@gloriajean

I   have lived  in a townhouse condo in Northern NJ for 27 years. Make sure you have a home inspection . Please make sure your furnace, plumbing and hot water heater are in good repair.

Please check the windows. 

I would not buy a unit without an on-site manager. 

I pay $330 a month. My fee covers all my costs, because the association is well managed.

I am responsible for heating, cooling, windows, plumbing, and appliances. 

The association takes care of all outside maintenance.

The HOA is affiliated with a large management company. 

Please look at a few properties before you buy.

The HOA sent residents information about being safe during the crisis in early March.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

you couldn't pay me to move into a townhouse again.  Without a garage, parking is horrible.  Even if you have numbered parking spaces, there's always somebody in your space.   Also, stay away from HOA's.  They're Very powerful and can cause you nothing but trouble.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gloriajean ...I lived in a townhouse in Chatsworth, CA for 14 years and loved every minute of it.  It was located near the Chatsworth Park, beautiful location.

Description: Two thousand square feet, four bedrooms, one full bathroom plus another one attached to master bdrm, all on the second floor.  The first floor had living room with attached sitting room with fireplace.  Then the kitchen and family room.  Attached garage.  At the entrance we had an enclosed patio where I was able to plant flowers, and a table/chairs with umbrella.

We bought it in 1976 for $58,000 and I sold it for $206,000 in 2,000.

I am sure you aren't looking for one that large.  Anyway, as I said I loved it and I wouldn't hesitate to live in one again.  Good luck, hope you find what you are looking for.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@gizmogal wrote:

Before you buy it, make an effort to get an appointment to return to the place in the evening, around 8pm or later so it's dark.  You'll want to get a feel (or a listen) for how noisy is the street; stay quietly inside for several minutes and see if there's a loud TV next door that you can hear through the walls or maybe neighbors having a spat. Adjoining dwellings or street conditions can have noise issues you won't know about unless you show up for a tryout one evening. Especially observe night conditions in the bedroom you will use for sleeping. 

Not saying you have to bring a sleeping bag and a toothbrush! Just try a half hour of sitting in places within the unit you will be buying and see what lights shine into the windows, what noises you hear, what the cross ventilation is like with windows open. You want to live there, so get a feel for comfort and noise. 

Also, take a good look around the neighborhood for conveniences like merchants and businesses you might want to use. Do you want to drive everywhere to get ordinary errands done? 

Check out street parking access--if you like to invite guests for dinner or home entertainment, you don't want them having to park 6 blocks away because your block and all around you is infernally crowded. If you don't have guests often, it won't matter. If you don't have a private parking space for your own car, it will! 

Also, be aware of things very nearby like firehouses and police stations, which tend to be active 24/7 and maybe have sirens or vehicles going at all hours. 

Best  of luck. I'm sure you'll love your new home. 

Recently, I hired a man to do painting and other handyman work. He bought a house a few years ago - 15 minutes from me. He said it's very NOISY at night and it drives him crazy. When he was ready to buy the house for himself and family, he only went there during the day. Now he's suffering. You have to go back many different times of the day and night - and knock on people's doors and ask about the neighbors and area - BEFORE you purchase anything. Never buy near schools, parks, commercial properties, restaurants/night-clubs, etc. That's where people hang around.

Honored Contributor

Townhomes have their good points as well as downside, like everything else.  Personally, neighbors are they the key.  We are so blessed to have te best neighbors.  They don't upkeep their yard, but are so nice and kind and watch out for everyone, without being nosy.  We have thought of moving, but first I would have to pack, second we know our neighbors,  and we love them

a townhome is wonderful living.  Maybe if you find the townhome tha begs you to live there, check out neighbors.  If the police are there a lot, or they have had complaints.

gloriajean, I wish you the best.  I remember when you downsized.  I hope you will be taking your Fiestware  lol

Esteemed Contributor

Shoekitty - the Fiesterware is always coming with us! We love it! We are now thinking of a house with a basement where our soon to be 4 year old grandgirls can play in. And we like to garden, even at our age, me 80 and my husband 81, he loves to putz in the yard and townhouses, no way. We love birds too, here in the apt. can't see birds. Yes, the heck with the association fees and HOA's. Praying we can find the right house, and all the responses here have helped us a lot.  Every one of them I showed my husband.  I will let you all know the update.  Happy Mother's Day everyone!

Respected Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

@SANNA wrote:

I lived in my townhouse for 24 years. It was big, 3 levels, 3,000 sq.ft. I think it was great, everything was taken care of, absolutely everything. When roof needed to be changed it did not cost us a penny. But since we are in NJ our property tax ( my town was great for schools) was ridiculous! So we sold it  in February and moved to 55+ stand alone house a few towns away.Half price property tax!

Hope your neighbors will be nice and you will enjoy your townhows!

@SANNA 

I also live in NJ. In a single family house. Central NJ by the Shore(Monmouth  County) I'm  currently looking at 55+ stand alone homes in South Jersey(Burlington County). May I ask what part of the state you're in? I'm finding that two bedroom small homes here in 55+ community are just as expensive as single family homes where I live now and taxes just as high!

I live in Middlesex county and not cheap but still cheaper then my other home was

Honored Contributor

We were thinking about a townhouse but DH just can’t do the stairs due to health issues...and we haven’t found anything with only one story. I do love the concept though.