Honored Contributor

Re: Looking at a townhouse to buy

For aging in place I would go with a one-story condo home.

Respected Contributor

I live in a single story townhome w/garage.  There is one other unit in my building and we share a wall.  I would not want to be between units - and have a neighbor on each side (2 shared party walls).  I agree w/the other posters about finding out about assessments.  Every community which seems picture perfect on the outside has inside issues.  My HOA has gone up 35% in 3 years that I have lived here.

Not sure this will be my forever home.  But is a very nice home for the time being.  My cat likes it here.  She has a sunny porch that faces a wooded area.  My neighbors are nice enough.  If the HOA board has minutes of their last meeting it would be a good idea to get a copy of those so you can know what's going on in the neighborhood.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Respected Contributor

@gloriajean wrote:

Tomorrow we will look at a townhouse to buy, it's in a good location, not far, and the inside is great! It's got 4 townhouses - we would be one of them. Anyone live in a townhouse and like it?  It still would beat apartment living on second floor which we are for almost 5 years.  Of course there's association fees,, so no working outside and that's a good thing.  

I lived in my townhouse for 24 years. It was big, 3 levels, 3,000 sq.ft. I think it was great, everything was taken care of, absolutely everything. When roof needed to be changed it did not cost us a penny. But since we are in NJ our property tax ( my town was great for schools) was ridiculous! So we sold it  in February and moved to 55+ stand alone house a few towns away.Half price property tax!

Hope your neighbors will be nice and you will enjoy your townhows!

Esteemed Contributor

I've had two. One was built like a fortress, the other was built from cardboard. Same builder, about 10 yrs apart.

Tell the realtor you want proof the HOA is solvent/has cash reserves. As one poster said, your fees can go up at a moments notice. The more "stuff", pool, tennis courts, playground, etc. the more the fees.

How many other units are for sale or sold in the last year? That will tell you if people are fleeing. Check Zillow or Realtor.

Last, ask what % of the development can be rented? The more renters, the less stability of the neighborhood.

Honored Contributor

@gloriajean 

Hope you find something you love!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@gloriajean  Both my townshouses were wonderful.  One was in Chicago in LIncoln Park and the other was in the city of San Francisco.  Three levels total.  In Chicago - basement, main living and top level were 2 bedrooms and two baths.  San Francisco - lower level was garage, laundry rm. and cedar closet, middle level main living & kitchen, top 2 bedrooms, 2 baths.  When you are young the stairs are a breeze.  It's nice not havinig to cut grass or shovel snow (Chicago).  I loved both my townhomes  Chicago had 12 units 6 in front, 6 rear.  I lived in front in the middle.  San Fracisco had 3 townhomes.  Enjoy your  new home.  Cat Very Happy

One thing that is very important, I never had problems with noise from neighbors.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, it has a double garage, that is a must!

Esteemed Contributor

No gardens there for us, No clubhouse, tennis courts etc. there. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for ideas to look for, this is all new to us.  

Respected Contributor

Check the amount of money in the reserve funds. You want to make sure they have a very substantial amount to cover any common area repairs that come up. Also check the codition of all common areas, make sure all are in good and up to date condition.