Esteemed Contributor

Looking at a townhouse to buy

Tomorrow we will look at a townhouse to buy, it's in a good location, not far, and the inside is great! It's got 4 townhouses - we would be one of them. Anyone live in a townhouse and like it?  It still would beat apartment living on second floor which we are for almost 5 years.  Of course there's association fees,, so no working outside and that's a good thing.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Looking at a townhouse to buy

@gloriajean   when you mentioned that you were looking for a house, I thought a townhouse would be perfect. No yard work, no showeling snow. Lived in a townhouse in Florida. One story with a back yard. There are about 6 attached to ours with each having a carport.

My friend just bought a two story townhouse and she likes it also. Hers has two decks.

Esteemed Contributor

@gloriajean  DH & I have been living in a townhouse for 31 years. We absolutely love it. The association takes care of the maintenance of the property. All lawn maintenance & snow removal.They also take care of the siding & the roof repairs.

We all have front & backyard gardens that we can maintain & individualize.

The homeowners association maintains the clubhouse,tennis courts, playground & swimming pools.

Trusted Contributor

My aunt and uncle live in one and it's lovely.  They are in one of the end units of 4 attached.  They mow their own grass, but it's such a small area.  They've lived there for years.  Does the one you're looking at have a garage?  Think that's a good thing to have.  Where my daughter lives, I was surprised to see several townhome complexes without garages.  

Valued Contributor

I live in a townhouse. There are only two units together and they’ve designed them so they look like standalone homes. My garage points north and the neighbor’s points east so it feels very private.

My HOA is very reasonable and they take care of mowing, snow/leaf removal, outside water and trash.

I love it. Everything is kept up very nicely.
Honored Contributor

Whatever you get, having one with outdoor maintenance included in the association fees sounds wonderful. Yard care can take several hours a week.

Respected Contributor

I rent a townhouse. While it’s better than having someone above or below me, I wouldn’t buy anything with shared walls.
Esteemed Contributor

Ask if there have been any special assessments in the past or if any are currently planned.  The monthly fees sometimes don't cover everything.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

@gloriajean    Try to find out if any "special assessments" are anticipated.  When some major improvement like roofing or paving needs to be done, they can stick you with assessments that can equal thousands of dollars.  Pay close attention to the condition of the buildings.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

How exciting for you, gloriajean. As newlyweds we moved into a long row of two-bedroom townhouses; bedrooms upstairs. Two car garage but not room for tools, etc. We didn't have much. Small front yard, covered back porch, no backyard. I liked it. Hubs wanted 'real' home so a year later we moved into too much of a home. He traveled on business and I had my career but once kids came along, the house worked for us. 

Decades later we moved back to attached housing -- 2 patio homes in short cul de sac community. Maintenance provided. Terrific neighbors. Lots of space for landscaping. Big, double car garage. My favorite place to live so far. Good luck to you. I hope you can chat with people who live there and ask questions. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau