Honored Contributor

Re: Look what was inside this egg from Costco

Ah, didn't know that.  Never bought eggs from Costco.  Just not enough room in the fridge.  If I had an extra small refrigerator I would love to do that though.  Hubby eats eggs every morning.

Esteemed Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

Grocery stores NEVER want you to bring back any questionable food.   Why carry around potentially spoiling food and foist it off on someone else?

Take your receipt  (if you still have it) to the store manager, explain what you found, or  have learned what was wrong with the food..

You will, in my experience, be well taken care of with your complaint.

I had a different type of issue with some Costco eggs........bought a container of 18 eggs, with a label in the middle.  When I got them home, opened the plastic carton, found that the one egg slot directly under the label was EMPTY!!  LOL!.  

I called Costco headquarters in Washington state and told this story.  The fellow I spoke to pointed out  that both of us had been cheated by whatever supplier provided those eggs to Costco's Virginia store.  

He said  I could get a full carton of eggs simply by talking to the manager of the store where we bought it.

He was right.  I got my replacement eggs.  Got a good laugh out of how the strategic position of a factory label can hide cheating in a carton of eggs.  Always will wonder whether the shortchanging  of Costco was intentional by the supplier?

@novamc1, just out of curiosity, why would you contact Costco headquarters rathen than the warehouse you bought them from? 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Wsmom

I first contacted Costco headquarters because I did not know that the selection of contract  suppliers  was a local decision, rather than a national one.

I went right to the primary decision-making source, also, as a matter of habit.  If you want to solve a problem, get to the "big guys" if you can.

(MIght have something to do with the fact that I used to work for a Federal government regulatory agency.)

In this case, I could have done as well  for myself at the local level first, but why not let headquarters know about the problem?  They could warn all regional Costco managers to watch for a potential problem.

Trusted Contributor

If you go to YouTube and search "from egg to peep" you will see how the chick is formed.... DW

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@scatcat wrote:

Am I the only one that doesn’t see it?

Nope. I just see a cluster of chalazae with no blood vessels. If there are no blood vessels, there's no embryo.

Here's a video of the development process of a chicken embryo. It does not look anything like the egg in the picture. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKvez9duEHQ

Here's another which details the days of gestation and you can see that at no point does it look like that. https://youtu.be/uE0uKvUbcfw?t=301

Respected Contributor

@fourpaws56 wrote:

@Kachina624 why on earth would I make this up! SMH !!

I don't think you made this up. I do think you're mistaken and have misidentified this as an embryo when it is not. No big deal. We all get things wrong and it's a good opportunity to learn something new.

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Some people do eat balut. Not me, but I do eat eggs. Balut is a delicacy in SE Asia.

Yes, I had it when I was in The Phillippines.  Our hosts insisted.  But only after plying us first with lambanog (80 to 90 proof).  It's hard-boiled.  You peel off the shell, suck out the juice and take a big bite.  One bite was enough for me.

@ValuSkr Wow! I thought I was an adventurous eater, but I draw the line at feathers and bones! You have bragging rights, for sure! I've seen Andrew Zimmern eat those things and shuddered. 

Esteemed Contributor

Just looks like a blob to me as well, nothing more.

Honored Contributor

@fourpaws56  It IS a big deal and I'm so sorry this happened to you and this little baby chick.  Thank you for sharing.  It brings more awareness of the issues with farm factory practices.  This could have happened to anyone who eats eggs and I'll bet most people don't bother reporting.  This little one was a life.

I'm sure Costco will take it seriously and sad that you are not able to return this little chick to the store until Friday.  It just prolongs the sadness, so sorry.

Esteemed Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

Am I the only one that doesn’t see it?

I don't see it either.  Maybe it looks a lot different in person?