Respected Contributor

Re: Look What Was Napping in Our Back Yard

[ Edited ]

I lived in a heavily populated suburb of Wash DC for years, and we had foxes, coyotes, groundhogs, raccoons and everything else in our yard (sometimes obviously crazy-acting with rabies), including  unwelcome  deer whose herd grew every year and became a scary nuisance.  Once had as many as 11 or 12 on our half-acre lot at one time.

I and my fellow Realtors  had car wrecks and near misses when deer darted out from nowhere,  especially at dusk when they love to cross roads.

One morning,  a deer appeared to be resting in our backyard peacefully.   I couldn't shoo it off nor did it move when DH pulled out of the driveway very close to it.

I called animal control. When the officer came and approached the deer, it hobbled off on three legs and ran off  to the yard behind mine.  I don't know the outcome for the deer or the officer, who left to try to locate it.

It obviously had a broken hip or leg--probably hit by a car  on the busy road not far away, according to the officer.  I actually  found parts of deer legs in my yard, so it probably happened often.  

Any  wild animal that doesn't react to humans nearby is probably injured. It's  time to call in experts to either euthanize it or seek care for it.

Super Contributor

@rms1954  So beautiful! A fox ran along side me as Iwas sitting on my outdoor steps, didn't know what it was at first, then I saw that beautiful tail. Love animals.

Super Contributor

@Marp  Oh, she's gorgeous! I would be kissing that face all day long!

Honored Contributor

We often see foxes right outside on our street. 

Honored Contributor

It was cold, foxes are just so pretty,and the babies just run and play,years ago we had a family living on our property.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Amazing.  Are you near mountains?

Super Contributor

Wow... Beautiful,

Trusted Contributor

How beautiful!  I absolutely love foxes!  Thanks @rms1954 for this adorable fox photo! 

Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@rms1954 

What a great picture. We have had several fox visit our property over the years we have lived here. We usually see them around dusk, but occasionally during daylight hours. They are beautiful animals, and very fast moving.

hckynut  🇺🇸

They are beautiful.  I love them.  Saw him today walking around.  It makes me smile Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Amazing.  Are you near mountains?

No.  In the Hudson Valley in NY.