Honored Contributor

Lonely FL boy, 6, Calls 911 Seeking a Friend

[ Edited ]

A Florida law enforcement officer is being praised for way he treated a little boy who called 911 asking for a friend because he was lonely.  

The boy, who has not been named, phoned the emergency operator on Tuesday from his family home in Tallahassee, Florida, without his mother's knowledge. 

She was stunned when a cop, named as Officer White, arrived at the house to play with the boy and teach him the proper use for calling 911. 

The police department shared touching photographs of their encounter on Facebook where dozens commented to praise Officer White for his kindness.

'From our Patrol Bureau: Sometimes we respond to a 911 call and it's a great opportunity for something positive!,' TPD wrote on Facebook. 'Officer Joe White responded to a 911 call where a 6 year old was upset & called 911.

'Officer White arrived to meet the caller—a child who said he was lonely and wanted a friend. He asked Officer White if he would be his friend.'

While some might see the encounter as a waste of police time, Officer White turned it into a positive learning experience rather than carrying out a negative telling off.

The Tallahassee Police Department elaborated that it was a good lesson learned for both the youngster and perhaps the general public too.

'Officer White took the time to explain how 911 is used and how it's for emergencies,' they explained in the social media post.

The law enforcement officer even stuck around to show the child more about what life on the force is like.

His department added that instead of making the boy feel bad he ended up presenting him with a gift that might make him feel a little less lonely when it comes to playtime.

'More importantly, Officer White said he'd be happy to be a friend,' TPD captioned a collection of images from the encounter. 'Our new friend got to sit in the police vehicle, was given a stuffed animal and now has a friend at the Tallahassee Police Department!'

The TPD posts garnered hundreds of shares and likes plus thousands of comments from the proud community.

'Thank you Officer White! A new Friendship...something positive for a change. What a handsome young friend!' one person commented.

Another wrote: 'So stinking cute! Kids need to know not all officers are bad!'

It even inspired followers to reach out to the boy. One said they planned on sending him a card.

Others saw it as an opportunity to arrange a playdate. One person wrote: 'How sweet!!! My kiddos would love to be his friends!'

Another said: 'My 6 year old would love for him to visit our little farm and play with him and be his friend... Tpd.... Message me and he can play with Billy the kid too... This little goat we got from lcso..'

A six-year-old Florida boy called 911 and Officer White responded to the scene. The child, who has not been named, told the cop he called because he was upset and feeling lonely

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7010343/Lonely-boy-six-calls-911-asking-friend-thrilled-Flo...

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Lonely FL boy, 6, Calls 911 Seeking a Friend

What a cutie he is, and that police officer went above and beyond his call of duty as well. How nice... What a nice heartwarming story for a change! Very sweet!

Respected Contributor

Kudos to the cop!  But OMG you'all are going to hate me for saying this, but if a child knows how to call 911, then he or she should know the purpose of it.  That it is used for true emergencies and not for being lonely.  What if a person was in dire need of emergency help from 911 and some kid is calling tying up the phone lines.

Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN 

There is much negative, horrible stuff in the news everyday, that I love to post a heartwarming, upbeat story when I can!Heart

It just helps me feel better to see that there are still loving people in our society, willing to reach out and help even a complete stranger.

It's just too depressing for me to think that there isn't.

So glad it made you feel good too!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

This is a beautiful story, but my heart breaks for the little boy.  I read a study that said lonlines is at its highest throughout the world.  Some countries are starting special programs to combat lonlines at all ages.  The thought is that such high use of social media only lets people interact on a superficial level thereby not creating bonds and creating lonliness.  Cherish your friends and reach out to them today.

Trusted Contributor

What an uplifting story to read.  That police office has a heart of gold.  We need to take care of our children.  No one should be lonely these days, especially kids.  I am so glad the officer is his friend.  They both are sweethearts.

Honored Contributor

@PhilaLady1 wrote:

Kudos to the cop!  But OMG you'all are going to hate me for saying this, but if a child knows how to call 911, then he or she should know the purpose of it.  That it is used for true emergencies and not for being lonely.  What if a person was in dire need of emergency help from 911 and some kid is calling tying up the phone lines.

@PhilaLady1 

I KNEW that was gonna come up, but did you miss the part where the officer responded to make sure the child was okay and to teach him that calling 911 was strictly for emergencies and what an 'emergency' actually was?

A lonely boy, 6, may have thought this was an emergency, at least it was to his little mind.

PD would never have dispatched an officer for that, if they had other calls of a higher priority and if one did come in later, the officer was only a radio call away.

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom 

You knew and you were right !

I did not miss the part where the officer explained to the child that 911 was strictly for emergencies.  It is hard for me to understand that at the age of 6, a child would consider being lonely an emergency.  I am trying to think back, way way way back when I was 6, and I think I would have known better.   Not trying to be a meanie - just stating my opinion.

Heart

Honored Contributor

Just shows that Anne Frank's comment was true. Love this and so glad others reached out to the child so he'll have new friends. Bless the officer.

Honored Contributor

Beautiful story, I feel so sad for the little boy. That man is a wonderful police officer, he handled it perfectly.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"