Honored Contributor

Re: Lochte Suspended for 10 months

"Has he apologized to the American people?"

FIRST he should apologize to the peoples of Rio as well as the country Brazil.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes  I've only watched that show once so I may be wrong.....isn't the AUDIENCE the one to throw out the person/team? Wouldn't it be great if he was booed every time he came on the stage as well as being voted OFF asap?

One can wish.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@Goodie2shoes  I've only watched that show once so I may be wrong.....isn't the AUDIENCE the one to throw out the person/team? Wouldn't it be great if he was booed every time he came on the stage as well as being voted OFF asap?

One can wish.

I presume it's more or less like The Voice and Am Got Talent - the early rounds of who makes it through are decided by the judges, and only about halfway through the season do viewers' votes start counting. I could be wrong - I don't really watch it much.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

So, really, no punishment at all. Nice job on the official bodies kwapping out.

Should have given him life. Appears that is what many here want to see. After all, he did embarrass our country. Too bad I can't say who has really embarrassed this country the worst. Maybe in a couple months I can.

Give the guy a break. You got a swimmer at a major college that did every thing but kill a young girl. And he spends 3 months in prison? Why ain't all the Lochte haters talking about that swimmer on here, and he ain't won sheet for this country.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

"Has he apologized to the American people?"

FIRST he should apologize to the peoples of Rio as well as the country Brazil.

@Mz iMac  Since you quoted me..... I thought he did apologize to the people of Rio in that sortakindatalkingoutofthesideofhisface apology he sniveled out. If not, then he should do so as well.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut  Because It's two different situations, to be honest. That case is in a WHOLE DIFFERENT LEAGUE of disgustingness. WHOLE different league.

Valued Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@GATORGIRL wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Moonchilde

Losing endorsements (Speedo, Ralph Lauren, et al.) is punishment.  Maybe not as much as some would like, but it definitely has to hurt.

From August 23, 2016:

It was estimated that as of 2012, Lochte was making an annual salary from USA Swimming of $30,000, but that’s peas compared to his sponsorship earnings from Speedo, Mutual of Omaha, Gillette, Gatorade, Ralph Lauren, Nissan, AT&T, and Procter and Gamble. From those sponsorships, he made an additional $2,300,000 in 2012! The amount increased after his golden performance at the 2016 Rio Olympics. It’s estimated his earnings grew two-fold, making his value $6 million dollars.

To his misfortune, an estimate from Forbes stated Lochte could lose anywhere between $5 and $10 million from the scandal! Yikes!

http://www.earnthenecklace.com/ryan-lochte-net-worth-how-much-money-did-he-lose-after-the-rio-2016-o...

Is money the only punishment that counts for anything any more? Losing money is the only "real", *meaningful* punishment that should matter?

What Lochte did (and the others to a lesser degree) was also *morally* wrong, and hopefully not a standard of behavior that ought to represent the US as a country, period. Originally there was talk of US Swimming banning him *for life.* Now all of a sudden it's a 10-month token slap on the pinkie?

The US Olympic Committee and USA Swimming represent the US in international sport in the eyes of the world as far as sportsmanship. They have just jointly announced "s***w sportsmanship, you're still our naughty bro, Ryan."

@Moonchilde

I was reporting on the financial punishment only.  

I believe that the questions you posed are valid:  Is money the only punishment that counts for anything any more? Losing money is the only "real", *meaningful* punishment that should matter?

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam

He apologized on Instagram.  IDIOT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH1qNV7B4gs

"sortakindatalkingoutofthesideofhisface"

2dtx9wl.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

Should have given him life. Appears that is what many here want to see. After all, he did embarrass our country. Too bad I can't say who has really embarrassed this country the worst. Maybe in a couple months I can.

Give the guy a break. You got a swimmer at a major college that did every thing but kill a young girl. And he spends 3 months in prison? Why ain't all the Lochte haters talking about that swimmer on here, and he ain't won sheet for this country.

hckynut(john)

I don't "hate" people I don't know.  But I can dislike extremely what they did and more importantly, *how they choose to handle the fallout.* The non-apology, the non-admission of flat out fabricating the whole thing.

It's one thing to pee in the alley and rip a poster off a wall. It's a whole nother level to lie, and when first caught lie again, and when caught for a third time by the world media, make a not-apology apology and perpetuate the lie - when you are representing the US as a nation during an event where the eyes of the world are on you not only as yourself but as a representative of the US.

Too many other countries already think of us (often justifiably) as "ugly Americans." Lochte certainly did his part to give detractors a prime example.

As for Brock Turner - the blame for his sentence lies squarely with the judge. And I think just maybe having to register as a s*x offender for the rest of his life might be a wee bit more punishment than a 10-month suspension from a sport Lochte was probably about ready to give up anyway.

Brock Turner is 22. Ryan Lochte is 32. There *should* be 10 years of maturity there; instead there was entitlement and thumbing the nose at authority.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Seems like a slap on the wrist.