Honored Contributor

Re: Lochte Suspended for 10 months

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

Seriously I wish the same kind of public out cry would be heard about Aleppo and the surrounding areas. 

This is such a frat boy none issue...first world problems ..

Maybe if Aleppo was on Dancing with the Stars............

Cat Tongue

Honored Contributor

Well, @hckynut, the fact that you say you don't care at all what the rest of the world thinks of Lochte, the US or any other American including yourself, tells me that you and I are very different people. I could not ever be you. I'm very okay with that.

In addition to not believing that the good ol' USA-USA-USA! is the be-all and end-all only place on the map that matters, I cannot conceive of the good ol'boy, just kids foolin' around even if they're 40, it's okay because he's into woo-hoo! SPORTS mentality. 

There was a very interesting, in-depth thread going a week or so ago about groups/areas of people isolated amongst themselves and how that isolation affects their views of anyone not just like them. It was good reading. The title was "Cloistered Society."

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

Only 10 months - the next Olympics are 4 years away so what will 10 months do? 

He needs to be banned from any Olympic swiming ever again. 

Hi @Puzzle Piece

He won't be allowed to participate in another well known swim meet.  I can't think of the name of it now, but it was a big deal to Lochte.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ryan Lochte is on the scale of scandals in the Olympics small potatoes. He is an embarrassment, but not to the extent of those who were doping and essentially cheating to win. This happened after competition and has nothing to do with what he earned legitimately. The whole thing could have been avoided had he acted in a mature fashion, but I guess boozed up athletes don't always act in accordance with established norms of politeness. Part of his story WAS actually true as has been confirmed by the judge who viewed the video of the incident. I honestly don't know what people want as a punishment for him: prison? execution? public stocks? He's  been suspended. He's lost endorsements. He doesn't have a lot of options in his future since I don't really think he's the brightest bulb in the box. What I didn't know till this morning is Michael Phelps was suspended for a time because of two DUI's. I don't remember any public outcry for HIS head, and he could have killed someone in that condition. At least Lochte wasn't driving in his intoxicated state.  Oh, and just in case, so you know, I am not a Ryan Lochte apologist. I'm just trying to put the whole thing in perspective as others demand his blood. And by the way, he had signed a contract with DWTS BEFORE the Olympics began.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RainCityWoman  Regarding Phelps: it was on/in the news DAILY in the Baltimore area. He was uninvited to MANY functions involving children/churches and a few fundraisers went after him because they believe they lost money on account he was supposed to be at a function and without him, the crowds were not as big (though they may have been small even IF he had shown up).

Trust me MADD were not and are not happy about him and I have zero respect for him or anyone who drives drunk.

There are quite a few athletes who have beaten their wives, killed a person, tortured animals but still making the big bucks. What does THIS tell people about justice, sports and our judicial system?

If you don't punish people, then those watching see it as acceptable behavior. There are many young eyes watching these athletes......

Respected Contributor

😳Wow, that's quite harsh! 🤔 It will take him nearly into the next, uh, next, swim season!!!🙄🙄🙄🙄

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

Ryan Lochte is on the scale of scandals in the Olympics small potatoes. He is an embarrassment, but not to the extent of those who were doping and essentially cheating to win. This happened after competition and has nothing to do with what he earned legitimately. The whole thing could have been avoided had he acted in a mature fashion, but I guess boozed up athletes don't always act in accordance with established norms of politeness. Part of his story WAS actually true as has been confirmed by the judge who viewed the video of the incident. I honestly don't know what people want as a punishment for him: prison? execution? public stocks? He's  been suspended. He's lost endorsements. He doesn't have a lot of options in his future since I don't really think he's the brightest bulb in the box. What I didn't know till this morning is Michael Phelps was suspended for a time because of two DUI's. I don't remember any public outcry for HIS head, and he could have killed someone in that condition. At least Lochte wasn't driving in his intoxicated state.  Oh, and just in case, so you know, I am not a Ryan Lochte apologist. I'm just trying to put the whole thing in perspective as others demand his blood. And by the way, he had signed a contract with DWTS BEFORE the Olympics began.

I don't think most people want "his blood." I think he's an a**, and I don't want that. I think what people do want is some sign that *all* that he did, including the aftermath, deserves some healthy sanctions, not just a 10-month slap on the a**, by the bodies governing both his individual sport and US sports in the world arena. They could have given him exactly what they did, but for 18 mos or 2 years. That at least would have appeared that they were somewhat serious in their reprimand.

He didn't just engage in minor vandalism. His subsequent behavior involved lying to the national and international media, repeatedly. There are morals clauses for both USA Swimming and the USOC. I think both could have done more to show that those bodies do not approve of his behavior in *total.*

Michael Phelps went into rehab after his DUIs. He was not in an international competition with the eyes of the world on him at the time, on the US's dime, representing his country. I don't see that Lochte has said he even might have a drinking problem, let alone mention rehab. All he's done is give a very qualified apology.

I've never wanted his medals taken away (silly IMO) or some kind of "forever" ban, but IMO his official, governing body reprimand wasn't enough.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Contributor

I think he is/was a complete idiot.  He made the United States look terrible.  I hope he is voted off Dancing With the Stars the first night.  The American public votes on the dancers from the beginning.  I can only hope he is gone right after the first vote!!!

Trusted Contributor

I wonder if the audience will "boo" Ryan, they do head judge Len often enough. I don't think many will be calling to vote him to stay in the show. 

Respected Contributor

@Skinsgirl wrote:

I think he is/was a complete idiot.  He made the United States look terrible.  I hope he is voted off Dancing With the Stars the first night.  The American public votes on the dancers from the beginning.  I can only hope he is gone right after the first vote!!!

I hope he gets tossed out right away too.

Just swim right on out of there. Smiley LOL