Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Local Costco selling big brown cartons of TP and paper towels

[ Edited ]

At Costco two days ago,  big brown generic-looking cardboard cartons of toilet paper and paper towels were available from a brand called Country Soft. The quality of both  obviously was not as good as Kirkland/Costco brand, but the price was much lower for a large quantity of product.

I bought a big box of paper towels because I go thru those like water in the kitchen every day and don't care about quality

Passed on buying the huge box of toilet paper, mainly because I couldn't lift it.  A Costco employee saw me trying to lift it and offered to put it in my cart, but I declined with a laugh, saying that's nice but I'd still have to deal with that extreme size and weight at home.

Costco did have Bounty paper towels and Charmin toilet paper, but at bigger prices.

I'm willing to try the cheaper stuff at least once.  Wonder whether Country Soft will be a permanent offering at Costco.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Local Costco selling big brown cartons of TP and paper towels

If the media would stop trying to create hysteria and people would only buy what they need, none of this nonsense would be necessary

Respected Contributor

@Miss Pepsi wrote:

If the media would stop trying to create hysteria and people would only buy what they need, none of this nonsense would be necessary

unfortunately the "hysteria by the media" is justified not created;

I actually wish more people would pay attention. Also maybe the people who got burned last time and ran out decided not to let that happen again.

Honored Contributor

Once upon a time the Kirkland brand TP was up there in quality next to Charmin, until they started cutting corners.  The "2-ply" became only one advertised as 2-ply, so I went right back to my beloved Charmin.

I do like Kirkland's paper towels, though.  They do rival Bounty.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

Re: Local Costco selling big brown cartons of TP and paper towels@

@Miss Pepsi 

So true...

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

At Costco two days ago,  big brown generic-looking cardboard cartons of toilet paper and paper towels were available from a brand called Country Soft. The quality of both  obviously was not as good as Kirkland/Costco brand, but the price was much lower for a large quantity of product.

I bought a big box of paper towels because I go thru those like water in the kitchen every day and don't care about quality

Passed on buying the huge box of toilet paper, mainly because I couldn't lift it.  A Costco employee saw me trying to lift it and offered to put it in my cart, but I declined with a laugh, saying that's nice but I'd still have to deal with that extreme size and weight at home.

Costco did have Bounty paper towels and Charmin toilet paper, but at bigger prices.

I'm willing to try the cheaper stuff at least once.  Wonder whether Country Soft will be a permanent offering at Costco.

In my kitchen, I have a metal gizmo (4-1/2" long) that slides over the cabinet door under my sink. There's a round open piece attached to the gizmo - where I hang a hand towel -- eliminates using so many paper towels. I also have the same gizmo on the cabinet under the sink in my master bath. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bhvbum 

@Miss Pepsi 

If we want the media to keep us informed, then I don't get the negative views expressed about what or how the media does its job.

As for "hysteria" and "nonsense", Costco limits purchases of toilet paper and paper towels to one per customer.   There's no mass hysteria  going on there.  Plus they also had national brands of both paper products in stock.

Honored Contributor

All I want is Lysol spray, 2 cans, that's it.

Trusted Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

@Miss Pepsi wrote:

unfortunately the "hysteria by the media" is justified not created;

I actually wish more people would pay attention. Also maybe the people who got burned last time and ran out decided not to let that happen again.

what I am saying in case you missed my point is, if everyone would just buy what they NEED and not hoard stuff then none of this would be .necessary. That is the hysteria I am talking about.  People hoarding are the ones creating the problem.  That comes from the media.

Yes we have a Pandemic a very serious one, I never said otherwise.  I have been totally staying home, doing curbside grocery pickup, wearing masks and all the stuff I am supposed to be doing.  That was not my point.

Honored Contributor

I think you just get caught up in it.  I just placed an order for delivery with Costco and while I have a Costco-sized package of Charmin I decided to order another one (just in case) but both Charmin and Kirkland brand were sold out.