Esteemed Contributor

Re: Living Your Life on Social Media

Years ago I began researching the correlation between social media "addicts" and narcissism. At that time, my suspicions were unfounded.

Today (and I need to dig deeper to affirm this) I believe studies are showing there is some truth to this.

Esteemed Contributor

@magicmoodz 

Which is why I grew bored with Facebook quickly and only watch Garden Answer with Laura & Aaron and Benjamin & their baby girl. Seldom do I post anything.

This site is a nice, friendly place to visit once (sometimes twice) a day for a few minutes. I'm not like many who spend lengthy time on here talking to others. Have a life to live far away from computers or social media which takes up most of my time and energy.

And, I don't even carry my cell with me all of the time. Refuse to be tethered to anything! If someone needs to reach me, I'll get back to them in a while. Interruptions are not thoughtful or gracious IMO. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think most people have a need for other people whether they realize it or not.  Kind of like that song....People Who Need People (are the luckiest people in the world).  No man should be an island unto  himself.  It is not good for you. Let's not forget those who are ill or can no longer leave home, drive, or socialize as they once did. 

I'm not fond of making generalizations about other people because you never know what's in their "baggage car".  My mom told me the story about this little child on a train with his father.  The child was being rambunctuous (to say the least) and it irritated a passenger who said something to the father.  The father said,  "I'm sorry" and then said..."you see, my son's mother died and and she is in the baggage car.  We are taking her home to bury her".  The moral of the story "don't judge what you see if you don't know what's in the baggage car". Everytime I go to judge someones motives ( and I readily admit I have done it) I am reminded of that story and my spirit calls me on it. 

Respected Contributor

Actually I am more concerned about the platform and who runs it....that is my guidepost to use or not to use.  Like posting here and careful about where I post, or if I do.  Have shut down accounts on about 4 platforms....do not miss any of them!

Esteemed Contributor

There are many reasons why people post and "talk" via social media venues (including here). For those of you who believe that followers/posters on Facebook are seeking attention, there is another simple reason - it's called loneliness. Some people don't have extended families, or even close families, or a lot of friends. Social media is a way to connect with others and it helps to fulfill a need. Have a little compassion, please.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jannabelle1 wrote:

There are many reasons why people post and "talk" via social media venues (including here). For those of you who believe that followers/posters on Facebook are seeking attention, there is another simple reason - it's called loneliness. Some people don't have extended families, or even close families, or a lot of friends. Social media is a way to connect with others and it helps to fulfill a need. Have a little compassion, please.

ITA, @jannabelle1. And you what? I bet that everyone of us likes and needs attention sometimes.

@jannabelle1, I meant to type "And you know what?"  As it stands, it might have seemed to be critical. Smiley Sad

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I am not on any social media,other than being in here.i know ppl that are constantly on Facebook ranting about politics to family issues.it consumes them.nope,not for me

Honored Contributor

As others have said, we here are all on social media.

Though it seems a lot are talking more about facebook etc. Still this is social media too.

It reminds me of that "those who live in glass houses should not throw the first stone" or something like that.

Some people are more comfortable sharing things about illness was what the original post mentioned. Some are not.

Even with people we know, some feel better talking about it all and some do not.

And compassion always does go a long way.

Its hard to judge people (though I think we all do or at least form opinions), and not really have ever walked in another's shoes.

I also don't think it's necessary to diagnose everyone or everything with some mental illness or issue either. That seems to be a thing these days.

People are complex and show all kinds of reasons and emotions.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

I have never been one to concern myself with the social affairs, or interactions of others, because those things are their choice, but I would wager that most do it simply because they ENJOY it. I enjoy these forums; MOST of the time!😉

Socialization is an inherent part of the human experience. How someone attains it, and/or enjoys it really should not matter. Individual expression is just that-individual. To each his "social" own.😁

~~~All we need is LOVE💖 

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Given that we are here posting on social media and that this particular venue has forums for both chat and friends, I'm surprised at some of these critical posts.

I am not surprised in the least. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"