Respected Contributor

Re: Living Your Life on Social Media

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@bobby5 I don't judge people for their reasons for sharing on social media. I do, however, think some share way too much personal information that can be a detriment to their personal safety.

Yes!  My cousin posts everything on line.  I know when she's at the gym, gone to the coffee shop, grocery shopping...you name it.  

Regular Contributor

I know someone that posts everything.  She starts out 6 mos from her kids birthdays, anniversaries, deaths of friends and parents and so on and so on doing the countdown of days, hours and minutes till that day hits.  She also changes her profile picture sometimes 10 times a day.  If you happen to like something (which means to me that you read it) on her  post and she thinks you find that you are happy about it she gets all mad and wants to know why you liked it or find it funny.  I put her on snooze a lot but that only lasts 30 days.  I do think some people just crave the attention by putting everything out there for everyone to see.

Trusted Contributor

@CherryHugs @scraphappy @nekodaisy

You all nailed it. These are the people I'm referring to.
Trusted Contributor

Oops sorry @scraphappy, I did your name wrong.
Honored Contributor

@bobby5 

You are right some people over share ALL aspects of their life and want to make people believe its the perfect fairy tale come true----some do it to seek attention and build up their own egos....

Perhaps others are lonely so they share their problems with anyone that will listen.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

My opinion is that everyone has their own reason for "living their life on social media".  I would guess that some love the attention, some want might want to do so to brag about what they are doing, where they go, what they have, etc., some might do so to show others that they used to know and don't have any association with any longer --- hey, look at me --- I'm doing great!.  I think with some it is almost an addiction to post every little thing --- what they eat, what they wear, who they talk to, etc., etc.  Just a way of life.  Some might need the confidence boost of having others post back and saying --- wow, you look great, or that must have been awesome, etc.   I, personally am not on social media at all.  I don't want all my business to be there.  If I want somebody to know that I want to such and such a place for vacation or I went to such and such place for dinner, I will tell them!  I guess everyone who uses social media does so for a different reason or reasons.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@bobby5 wrote:
I think people who post a good portion of their lives on social media are insecure attention seekers. I'll give you an example. Some people go through an illness privately, while others pretty much post the whole thing on social media. I know everyone handles things differently but, to me, it seems like those that put everything out there are looking for adulation. What say you?

@bobby5  Since you know that "everyone handles things differently", I would give them the benefit of the doubt. Adulation, attention seeking, insecure are pretty strong words to describe someone you don't really know.  

Trusted Contributor

@Spurt

Agree👍
Esteemed Contributor

How about "living the life you wish you had on social media..."

There are certain "troubled " people who will use social media platforms (like this) to create a persona they only wish they had. 

A healthy person if misstating something or being misunderstood will apologize and make the wrong right. The "troubled" person will deflect and become defensive when someone points out all the inconsistencies in their pretend life.

Esteemed Contributor

There are studies being done on the rising suicide rate on young users of social media.