Honored Contributor

Re: Living Your Life on Social Media

@bobby5 wrote:
@new nickname 4

You are definitely not who I'm talking about. I'm glad you have your computer.
Read the comment made by @SteffdoggyOO. That's who I'm talking about.

@bobby5 I think this whole topic and your responses leave me wondering what your point was in the first place and by this point I discovered it is not a topic I would be interested in.  Totally pointless and sorry I responded now that you post new "information."  

Trusted Contributor

@bobby5 Funny, this question came up at a dinner years ago. A few of the answers stuck with me:

* THey are desperate for attention so they'll take it anyway they can get it.

* They failed in Hollywood/theatre so they can now create their own little world and be the center of it for all to see

* That they have some kind of massve ego to believe that anyone really wants to know what they think/do or would take advice from them.

* They are a student of P.T. Barnum.

I wouldn't want that kind of attention for ANYTHING. That said, I despise those that pull their children into it; THEY have NO SAY. YouTube has had to deal with cruelty/neglect/abuse my parents doing things to their children all for views/money.  WHy do they do this to their own children/any child?! Re-read the 4 reasons I typed.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@bobby5 wrote:
I think people who post a good portion of their lives on social media are insecure attention seekers. I'll give you an example. Some people go through an illness privately, while others pretty much post the whole thing on social media. I know everyone handles things differently but, to me, it seems like those that put everything out there are looking for adulation. What say you?

@bobby5, It helps some people to cope with something like an illness or other problem. I know it has helped me.

@suzyQ3..I agree with you. There are times when comments on these boards can be harsh but at the end these boards are so much kinder and personal when it comes to the community supporting each other. Support and kindness is what we all need. This social media platform is soft and good for individuals.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't read anything that I am interested in,so I don't really care what people post about themselves.

People post for various reasons- excitement, sadness, boredom, loneliness.  Some seem to need attention.

On these forums, people chronicle various events of their lives- some looking for compassion, agreement or just venting.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

My family and (some) friends think I'm still living in the "Dark Ages" because I'm not on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter...

I tell them, "You already know how to get in touch with me, if you need to, and if I want to know what you had for dinner, I'll text you" Woman LOL

Trusted Contributor

I also don't get the posts that are writing a note to their deceased telling them how much they still love and miss them.   Newsflash they aren't seeing it.   That same sentiment can't be expressed in your mind.   

Honored Contributor

Given that we are here posting on social media and that this particular venue has forums for both chat and friends, I'm surprised at some of these critical posts.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Tinkrbl44  Imagine those are the people who also complain the most about the ads on Facebook! Don't they realize those ads support FB? Which, in turn, provides them the free means to expound upon their daily trials and trivials of life to share with the world.

If those people were really leading interesting lives, a daily diary would have been kept. A biography written and published for historical purposes and, perhaps, profit. 

@BirkiLady 

LOL ... I think you're right ... they seem to have no idea of even the most basic principles of how businesses operate.   Recently someone on here complained "they're just in it for the money ..."   LOL

Can you image the collective hysterics if Facebook announced they are reducing ads and will start billing users a mere $9.95 a month membership?   People would lose their minds over that!  LOL

Honored Contributor

They're no different than the people who used to insist on showing you really long slideshows of their vacation pictures, back before the internet.

There have always been people like that. Nowadays they can just capture and share their lives with greater volume and ease. And at least nowadays you have the option to click away from the page as opposed to being stuck in the person's house after dinner pretending to be entertained.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Aren 't we on social media  on here ,facebook, those on twiter,and many others? Sign of the times.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.