Honored Contributor

Re: Living Your Life on Social Media

I think to those of us who grew up and grew old without social media,  it is way too much over sharing and way too time consuming and way too 'me' centric. 

I think younger people who don't really know anything else, or at least the bulk of their lives have had this, find it normal and even necessary. 

I remember that when I was a kid in the 60's no one talked outside of their immediate family, about the money they made, their political views, their religious views etc. It just wasn't done, was considered rude, and considered over sharing. All that changed in my adult life (even way before social media, like in the 80's and 90's), to the point where that seems acceptable and normal to me, so I'm guessing that is how those younger than me might see the 'over sharing' on social media.

Times change, and how we share changes with each generation. I guess it is one of those things that if you don't approve, you don't do it or participate in it. As to the motives of those who do, I suppose they run the gamut of reasons, but as a whole, or just in general, I think people are more and more seeking attention, acceptance and recognition from strangers and the broader world that technology has brought us. 

Honored Contributor

Lots of people seeking accolades, praise, compliments, and approval. This says a lot. A truly happy, stable, secure individual does not have to reach out for these things. 

Honored Contributor

this is the only social community I am on--never been on the others at all. have no desire to share my life with anyone and yes, I know there are filters---but the stuff  hear people say and do and post about, shocks the b-jeezus outta of me--am convinced all this will come back and bite everyone in the tookus at some point.and once this info is online--it is there FOREVER!!!! Not that its not  already known---just don't get it!!!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know a couple who travels frequently for leisure. They post when and where they are going, and post every dang plate of food they order for every meal at each restaurant. Sometimes they picnic and post a pic of their sandwiches. Not just unwise,  if you don't want to find your home burgularized upon your return...but who cares if you had tacos in   Cincinnati? Some people do think the world cares what they think and do every working minute in real time.....but they really don't. A real sign of insecurity, imho.

Trusted Contributor

@RetRN 👍

@wagirl
This is the only social community I'm on also.

@Duckncover
Tacos in Cincinnati!😂
Trusted Contributor

It's a tool, like most things, you can use it with discretion or you can overshare and live to regret it.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I think to those of us who grew up and grew old without social media,  it is way too much over sharing and way too time consuming and way too 'me' centric. 

I think younger people who don't really know anything else, or at least the bulk of their lives have had this, find it normal and even necessary. 

I remember that when I was a kid in the 60's no one talked outside of their immediate family, about the money they made, their political views, their religious views etc. It just wasn't done, was considered rude, and considered over sharing. All that changed in my adult life (even way before social media, like in the 80's and 90's), to the point where that seems acceptable and normal to me, so I'm guessing that is how those younger than me might see the 'over sharing' on social media.

Times change, and how we share changes with each generation. I guess it is one of those things that if you don't approve, you don't do it or participate in it. As to the motives of those who do, I suppose they run the gamut of reasons, but as a whole, or just in general, I think people are more and more seeking attention, acceptance and recognition from strangers and the broader world that technology has brought us. 

The only point I differ with is that on this forum we are anonymous. On Insta and Facebook we know who we are conversing with if we set our security options, we won't get trolled and we are conversing with people we know. We can delete anyone at any time. Here, we are at the mercy of anonymity and can come here on any given day and end up getting insulted, marginalized and misunderstood. Sometimes there are benefits to knowing who you are conversing with...

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have 2 friends who put all their personal drama on FB because they are attention seekers.  In person, they like attention.  It is who they are.

Every single fight they have results in a cryptic post about how awful things are, etc.  If it wasn't so sad because they are grown adults, it would be funny.

Esteemed Contributor

I've unfollowed people on Facebook who were constantly posting selfies or always posting which restaurants they frequented or food they've been eating. Those people are annoying, and I don't need to know everything they're doing. I think of them as insecure and attention seekers. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

It is my opinion social media has not been a good thing for most people. Too many have lost friends, gotten divorces because they connected with old flames which at the end failed, and they only rely on social media to connect with others to have some recognition in their lives, and followers.

However I will say if you are alone it is the best way to be with others and find some friends as many of us have done on these boards.

As with anything there is a soft or hard side. Twitter can be brutal, Facebook and Instagram show much too much about individuals who put it all out there. It does more damage than good and can make someone a target/victim.

It is the choice of the person.