Honored Contributor

Re: Living Your Life on Social Media

I guess one can never take too many selfies! 🙄

Trusted Contributor

@new nickname 4

You are definitely not who I'm talking about. I'm glad you have your computer.
Read the comment made by @SteffdoggyOO. That's who I'm talking about.
Respected Contributor

@brandiwine wrote:
I feel sorry for people like that. It's too bad they don't have a life except on a computer. There is nothing like looking someone in the eye & having a real conversation. I do think some people use social media to get attention.

I don't feel sorry for some of them as they DO have a life outside of social media. It's not just done on a computer. My grandniece is a good example. She used to post almost everything on social media. That includes all her "real life" friends with whom she has "real" conversations.  However, she's a bit older now so she doesn't do it much anymore. 

Honored Contributor

I think the whole concept of companies providing free sites that everyone can put out all sorts of personal information about themselves is primarily for the financial benefit of the media companies. 

These companies gather and sell information and some people actually believe their information is somehow  "private".

Facebook is free for a reason.  They don't have to charge you anything to have an account.  They need you to visit fequently and no cost improves the odds.

Then, people "socialize" and information is gathered and processed ... and sold.  

I wonder how much they make on the average social media account over, for example, ten years of information sharing.   

Any idea?

Honored Contributor

@bobby5 I agree.  I'm thinking of one friend in particular that would have to share everything going on in her life on FB....it could be just going out to eat with a photo of what she's having and who she is with.  I think it's a way of getting attention.

Respected Contributor

I think most of us probably have a few "friends"on social media that make us wonder if it's always worthwhile. I can handle most of what hits my news feed but there is one type of posting that always annoys me: the friend who loves to hint at dire life altering circumstances and posts oblique, dramatic statements about life's journey and vague references to her kids and health, hopes people will ask what is wrong (and they do), and keeps it all under wraps like it's a mystery novel. It's what comes with having a place for people to post and comment. If someone gets to be a bit much for me, I'll put them on snooze for awhile.

Then there are oversharers who post stream of consciousness or hourly schedules: the friend who will post twice daily, "I took my dog for a walk." Never sure about what to do with that...

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  Imagine those are the people who also complain the most about the ads on Facebook! Don't they realize those ads support FB? Which, in turn, provides them the free means to expound upon their daily trials and trivials of life to share with the world.

If those people were really leading interesting lives, a daily diary would have been kept. A biography written and published for historical purposes and, perhaps, profit. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@bobby5 wrote:
I think people who post a good portion of their lives on social media are insecure attention seekers. I'll give you an example. Some people go through an illness privately, while others pretty much post the whole thing on social media. I know everyone handles things differently but, to me, it seems like those that put everything out there are looking for adulation. What say you?

You are making a lot of assumptions. 

Honored Contributor

Oversharing on social media seems to be a generational thing, too. Younger generations especially b/c they grew up almost entirely in the digital age.

Honored Contributor

One friend shares everything everyday of what she and the family are doing, where they are having a meal, what they are doing around the house,

when they are camping, checking in to places they are eating, and on and on! I would never do any of this.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller