Honored Contributor

Re: Little curious how my ancestors came to settle here (where I live).

I don't remember what my daughter used but she had me spit into something, sent it away and told me it showed my ancestors came from somewhere entirely different from where I absolutely know they came from.

My great grandmother was an American Indian.  Her mother and father were Indians and so on.

I told my daughter she got taken!  Ha!  With my husband's family there is an entire town with his last name.  There are 3 schools with his last name.  He was a direct descendant from the people who came over from England.  His ancestry is very easy to follow and many have done that.

As for mine....it was totally wrong.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My son, a registered genealogist, has delved into our ancestry (Ancestry dom com was of practially little help, except to say from which regions our forebears came).   

It was so exciting to see what he unearthed ... like an archaeology dig, layer by layer.  And then to see written documents and papers ... wow, what a rush!  He's completed a lot of research  on my mother's side ... still working on his paternal grandfather's.

Esteemed Contributor

I have and still use Ancestry.com, and it has been helpful mainly in connecting me with others who are looking at the same people in family history. Originally I began research with US GenForum, which was free. I also found a free site in Canada where I found all my Scottish ancestors at the parish records in the United Church of Scotlant in Quebec. Finding relatives I didn't know I had has been the most valuable.  I have also found actual documents posted. One person sent me a picture of his ancestor and mine in their Civil War uniforms. I live near the United States Archives in my area, but you can only go so far, unless you have specific knowledge as a starting point.  The internet has been invaluable for me. It's a really fun and rewarding hobby, though.

Trusted Contributor

I recommend seeing what you can locate for free before paying for any information. Family Search which has been mentioned, is a good resource. Check with your local library to see if they have Ancestry.com available. I was surprised by how much I found at mine. Also check Find A Grave. I discovered a second cousin there who made memorial pages for my great-grandmother's sisters.

Trusted Contributor

Re: curious how my ancestors came to settle here (where I live).

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Definitely recommend Ancestry.  I didn't know my father's relatives as he and my mother divorced when I was very young and he moved to another state.

From Ancestry, I discovered that - on his side - I had a direct relative who fought in the Revolutionary War.  I have since applied to and been verified as a Daughter of the American Revolution.   I had no idea prior to Ancestry.

Check in to it.  Who knows what you will find.

I belong to the DAR also!  It was hard work tracking everything down, it took me three attempts.  The third DAR genelologist who worked on my application discovered what the problem was -- what and why a piece of information was missing.  At that time, I don't think Ancestry dot com was even around or used that much.  I know I have at least another, and probably more, ancestors who contributed to the Revolutionary War.  I just need to have my Chapter help me get started.  

Respected Contributor

Re: curious how my ancestors came to settle here (where I live).

@walkingal wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Definitely recommend Ancestry.  I didn't know my father's relatives as he and my mother divorced when I was very young and he moved to another state.

From Ancestry, I discovered that - on his side - I had a direct relative who fought in the Revolutionary War.  I have since applied to and been verified as a Daughter of the American Revolution.   I had no idea prior to Ancestry.

Check in to it.  Who knows what you will find.

I belong to the DAR also!  It was hard work tracking everything down, it took me three attempts.  The third DAR genelologist who worked on my application discovered what the problem was -- what and why a piece of information was missing.  At that time, I don't think Ancestry dot com was even around or used that much.  I know I have at least another, and probably more, ancestors who contributed to the Revolutionary War.  I just need to have my Chapter help me get started.  

Mine was fairly easy.  My direct relative (5th great grandfather) has been the source of many DAR verifications.  I only had to prove from my great grandmother down to me.  I also have at least two supplementals - great great etc. uncles that I may pursue as well.  So interesting.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I did my Ancestry DNA testing, I was very disappointed to find out that my Asian side is so limited as far as where I come from. Seems Ancestry has not done much DNA searches over on that part of the world so essentially I wasted my money with them.Woman Frustrated

eta - You know that map they show you?...well mine shows a big circle around 'Asia'. Okay I already know that. So which part of Asia am I from?? Guess we are a monolith.

Honored Contributor

I started my genealogy search in 1979, and have collected a vast amount of information on all sides of my family.   

My main interest is in knowing who I am related to locally, and medical history.   

Ancestry.com has a lot of misinformation about one side of my immediate family.   The information has been out there for 20 years, despite my contacting the person who posted it, and explaining that what he has listed is in the wrong place on the family tree.   The information he listed for my grandmother goes with another family member with the same name, but entirely different section of our family tree.   This person never corrected his mistake.   

The biggest find in my years of searching was solving the mystery of what happened to my maternal great great grandfather.   The family lost track of him when he moved out west, but he came back to a neighboring county in WV, married again and raised a second family.   The most interesting details are in the fact he married into my husbands family, and is buried in their family plot of that rural cemetery.

Super Contributor

I wanted to do some research on my Fathers side.  My Mother was pretty much done by my Grandmother who took the line back to England 1500's.  I cant seem to find my great great great grandfather who came over from Germany.  I have no first name but do have a 5 year span when he arrived.  

So Ancestry.com can still be frustrating to use.  Its also expensive depending on what you want.  I think my subscription is now 150 ever 6 months.  I thought I could find my answers in 6 months but will have to decide to let it go or sign up for another 6 months.

It can show you where your family arrived in the United States and how / where they went from those first few steps.  It just depends on what you want and whether your children have any interest at all.

Regular Contributor

My dad always said, "This is where the ox died," whenever such a question came up in our family.