Honored Contributor

Re: Little Trick For Saving Water in the Summer

@tiny 2,

I have a Whirlpool dehumidifier from Lowe's that is 12 years old and still running great.   I think I paid around $249.00 for it, and definitely feel I've gotten my monies worth.

Honored Contributor

Thank goodness we have lots and lots of water here year round.I would hate if I could not take my nice warm baths/showers, and scrub my house with nice hot water.

Respected Contributor

@StylishLady wrote:

We have a rain barrel on the end of our NE front gutter. I fill my watering cans with it to water plants on my lanai. Even during the driest months, it has never run out of free water. People that have frequent rain should look into getting one.

@StylishLady wrote:

We have a rain barrel on the end of our NE front gutter. I fill my watering cans with it to water plants on my lanai. Even during the driest months, it has never run out of free water. People that have frequent rain should look into getting one.

Problem for us is that rain barrels that are open are breeding grounds for mosquitoes. We would keep it covered but I cannot speak for my neighbors.

Respected Contributor

@StylishLady wrote:

I would like to look into doing this also!

Respected Contributor

The Lee County Extension Service here in SW Florida held a work shop about rain barrels. We went to it. They sold us one that had a spigot at the bottom for filling our watering cans. DH followed the instructions on setting it up which include screening that keeps mosquitoes out. Works well and is a great way to save the "free water" that we get a lot of.

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

Our whole house AC unit has a hose that puts the water into our utility sink in the basement.  (Most people run their hose directly to a drain.)

Many times during dry weather I have captured the water and used it for watering plants.  Sometimes in the summer I would even keep a few buckets full in the event the electric went out and we needed it to flush the toilet. (We have well water and can not run the pump when electric goes out.)

This made me smile - when we moved to the country and on well/septic, dad spoke with some of the other long time neighbors who told him they used to save 2 liter bottles and fill with water after a bath/shower.  Our garage had a ledge that was about a foot high all around it and dad must have filled 50-75 2 liter empty soda bottles with water just for flushing the toilet.  One of the things I had to do when I sold the house is empty each and every one of them and then took the bottles to recycle center.