Respected Contributor

@Gramy24 wrote:

Grandparents?!  Where were they? Only heard one media reporter question this. Assuming there were none alive or didn't live in the area BUT still if they are indeed alive then for goodness sake did they NEVER have any contact wtih their grandchildren?!!!

West Virginia

Honored Contributor

Guess all questions will be answered in time.  I'm sure they will investigate a number of things and after talking with the children, more will come to light. 

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@DiAnne

@DiAnne wrote:

It is amazing to me that the neighbors were not aware.  It looked like they lived in the middle of a housing development.  

Stories like this amazes me too.  What is so outstanding about this one is the number of people held captive & not a peep from the neighbors to the police.

What am I missing here?????? confused.gif

@Mz iMac

It’s called The Stockholm Syndrome.   People held captive come to rely on their captors for survival, even identify with them.  

We saw it with Elizabeth Smart and other girls taken, also the daughters held by their father in Germany.

From what I understand Smart did not fall into Stockholm syndrome. If I'm not mistaken she mentioned this in an interview I saw of her.

Honored Contributor

What   strange story, were they never out of the house, all are the couples children?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor
@goldensrbest wrote:

What   strange story, were they never out of the house, all are the couples children?

@goldensrbest  I wonder about the 2 YO.  Have to wonder how these parents learned this...came up with this...decided to do this.  

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

It's just so horrific to imagine something like that happening - hidden in plain sight.

Respected Contributor

I think people who do these sickening crimes are able to hide it very well from neighbors and the rest of the outside world so that no one would suspect anything. I had a sex offender living down the street from me but didn't find out until many years later, and only because the police had a law that registered sex offenders were not allowed to give out Halloween candy, and they posted their names and addresses so families could avoid going there. He was a very quiet guy, never heard a peep out of him. One of my other neighbors, she'll play her music outside loud sometimes at night during the summer, at times she has friends over all hours (but they're pretty quiet) and one time I called the police on her because she was fighting very loudly with her then husband at the time...well, she's actually one of the nicest people I know and she wasn't angry that I called the cops. I was really worried that the fight would turn violent and she would get hurt, and I told her that. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Listening to the news

[ Edited ]

I agree with @Nicksmom that some of the neighbors did suspect and probably didn't want to start trouble or get involved. I heard a couple of neighbors interviewed and one man mentioned the children were thin -- "not athletically thin, but that they looked malnourished." There had to have been other clues, when put together, would warrant a call to the authorities to check it out. Not buying that the neighbors were clueless. 

The only thing I heard about the grandparents was that one of them said that the couple were "good Christians" and that God instructed them to have as many children as they could.

Honored Contributor

People that behave like that are as far away from being Christian as it gets.

They are either mentally unhinged or just evil, probably both.

Unless the belong to some weird sect , like the Westboro bunch ,who are off the rails completely, no  decent church would tell parents this sort of behavior would please God

Esteemed Contributor

I read on the Daily Mail that a neighbor saw one of their children going through a garbage can, apparently searching for food.

Looks like that would've rung some alarm bells.

If nothing else, I would've paid a call on my neighbor to see if everyone was okay..........