Honored Contributor

The various neighbors that were interviewed didn't see or hear anything. google the story @esmerelda, it's on more than one newsite. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

Re: Listening to the news

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@DiAnne

@DiAnne wrote:

It is amazing to me that the neighbors were not aware.  It looked like they lived in the middle of a housing development.  

Stories like this amazes me too.  What is so outstanding about this one is the number of people held captive & not a peep from the neighbors to the police.

What am I missing here?????? confused.gif

@Mz iMac

It’s called The Stockholm Syndrome.   People held captive come to rely on their captors for survival, even identify with them.  

We saw it with Elizabeth Smart and other girls taken, also the daughters held by their father in Germany.

I just watched a program with re-enactment and actual commentry from Elizabeth Smart where she denies Stockholm Syndrome in her case because she did not develop any feelings of affection or identification with her captors. She says she despised them and was afraid because of the threats.

I just found this on slate,"In her testimony this week, Smart said she never believed Mitchell's religious ramblings or had any sympathy with him. She asserted that she was simply too afraid to speak up or run off. She played along and remained obedient, she said, out of self-preservation: Mitchell repeatedly threatened to kill her and her family if she tried to escape and convinced her she would not succeed. She believed him, probably because of the severe nature of the abuse, the length of captivity, her isolation from outside influence, her age, her personality, and the fact that the threats came from the man who plucked her from her own bed in the dead of night. According to University of Miami psychologist Anthony Castro, since Smart remained silent out of fear rather than affection, and rejected Mitchell's incoherent prophecies, her case is not about Stockholm syndrome."

So it isn't always Stockholme Syndrome.

Esteemed Contributor

@JaneMarple  Thanks, but I know as much as I care to.  But let @Noel7 know.  She says the neighbors thought they were thin.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@JaneMarple  Thanks, but I know as much as I care to.  But let @Noel7 know.  She says the neighbors thought they were thin.

There's more than ONE neighbor @esmerelda

Esteemed Contributor

@JaneMarpleI said "neighborS."

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@JaneMarpleI said "neighborS."

janemarple also said "various" neighbors! No one neighbor was pointed out! @Noel7 quoted one of the neighbors in her post while janemarple mentioned "various" neighbors in her post! Does your neighborhood not have more than one neighbor @esmerelda

Honored Contributor

I'm so glad that everyone was found alive, it's going to take years for the victims to get well physically, mentally and emotionally. Praying for all of them.

Honored Contributor

@skuggles wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@DiAnne

@DiAnne wrote:

It is amazing to me that the neighbors were not aware.  It looked like they lived in the middle of a housing development.  

Stories like this amazes me too.  What is so outstanding about this one is the number of people held captive & not a peep from the neighbors to the police.

What am I missing here?????? confused.gif

@Mz iMac

It’s called The Stockholm Syndrome.   People held captive come to rely on their captors for survival, even identify with them.  

We saw it with Elizabeth Smart and other girls taken, also the daughters held by their father in Germany.

I just watched a program with re-enactment and actual commentry from Elizabeth Smart where she denies Stockholm Syndrome in her case because she did not develop any feelings of affection or identification with her captors. She says she despised them and was afraid because of the threats.

I just found this on slate,"In her testimony this week, Smart said she never believed Mitchell's religious ramblings or had any sympathy with him. She asserted that she was simply too afraid to speak up or run off. She played along and remained obedient, she said, out of self-preservation: Mitchell repeatedly threatened to kill her and her family if she tried to escape and convinced her she would not succeed. She believed him, probably because of the severe nature of the abuse, the length of captivity, her isolation from outside influence, her age, her personality, and the fact that the threats came from the man who plucked her from her own bed in the dead of night. According to University of Miami psychologist Anthony Castro, since Smart remained silent out of fear rather than affection, and rejected Mitchell's incoherent prophecies, her case is not about Stockholm syndrome."

So it isn't always Stockholme Syndrome.

@skuggles

She did not try to get away when she could have.  Neither did the girl living in the back yard.  They can become psychologically dependent.

Respected Contributor

She totally denied it in the program I saw, and I found her explanation very credible. The googled definition of Stockholm Syndrome is,

"feelings of trust or affection felt in certain cases of kidnapping or hostage-taking by a victim toward a captor." Notice that it uses the words "in certain cases", as opposed to in all cases. The slate quote shows that the conclusion reached from the trial testimony was not Stockholm, according to the quoted psychologist.
Honored Contributor

@skuggles wrote:

She totally denied it in the program I saw, and I found her explanation very credible. The googled definition of Stockholm Syndrome is,

"feelings of trust or affection felt in certain cases of kidnapping or hostage-taking by a victim toward a captor." Notice that it uses the words "in certain cases", as opposed to in all cases. The slate quote shows that the conclusion reached from the trial testimony was not Stockholm, according to the quoted psychologist.

@skuggles

I never said all cases, you have said that twice, I am not arguing the point with you.