Esteemed Contributor

Re: List of major events not happening due to virus concerns

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Reever wrote:

I wish bars and nightclubs would shut down.  People in closed quarters like that seem to be a breeding ground for the virus to multiply and will also keep drunk drivers off our roads.

@Reever, what about restaurants, markets, department stores, etc. etc. ad nauseam?

I would not wish or hope for such closures.

I agree!

It also wouldn't keep drunk drivers off the roads.  In bars, staff are watching and are obligated not to serve obviously intoxicated people and not to let them drive if they're impaired.  If bars are closed, people will drink at home and at the homes of friends, with no one keeping an eye, taking away car keys, etc.

Honored Contributor

Many music concerts and festivals have been cancelled all over the place, here as well as  overseas.

Honored Contributor

Our chocolate festival got cancelled.  Now that's serious!  Thank goodness it's not balloon fiesta time.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

It must be because the U.S. media has over-hyped the issue.

Cat Tongue

@QueenDanceALot   Really?? They didn't create the Coronavirus.They are just reporting on what the infectious disease doctors like Dr. Fauci are saying about it. Someone  has to tell us the truth.

Honored Contributor

The NBA has suspended its season, a player for the Utah Jazz has the virus.
You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

THe NBA has cancelled the rest of the season....until further notice. 

Regular Contributor

E3 has been going downhill fast and unfortunately it isn't what it used to be. People laughed when Nintendo went with a digital presentation and I'll be this isn't even a bump in the road for NOA unlike Microsoft.

Trusted Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

Cities are banning events that draw large crowds, anyway, so if not already canceled, they stand a good chance of being shut down later.

-------

I'm in SPOKANE, and our annual Bloomsday, 12k run, is the worlds largest, fully timed(meaning every finisher gets their finish time) race. 

At one time, it was drawing close to 60,000, runners. More recently, it's been in the 40,000+ range. Bloomsday draws world class runners, to compete, in the elite group. With spectators and people just enjoying the downtown and Riverfront Park, festivities, you can easily get around another 100,000 people, milling around, throughout the day. 

So far, the run is still on, it's a huge moneymaker, for the area, but, I'm sure it's being evaluated, and it wouldn't surprise me, to see it cancelled. 

Trusted Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

Washington states governor stated today that no gathering of more than 250 people will be allowed.  He said they may revist that next week.  

-----

I'm also in Washington, SPOKANE. I thought I heard that ban only was affecting, King, Pierce and Snohomish counties,(Seattle area) at this time; am I wrong? 

My Aunt, is in an assisted living facility, here in SPOKANE. 
The residents were notified, today, of the Govenors proclamation, that will affect them.  Until April 9, no visitors under 18, only one visitor per day, only one door will be open to the facility, all visitors will be screened. Temperatures taken, a brief oral history requested, ID must be produced. If anyone objects, they won't be admitted. 

Many activities have been suspended, including outside entertainers.  All staff will be screened, daily, before the start of their shift, for symptoms. 

My Aunt, who just turned 70, and is in generally good health, said exceptions, to the visitors policies, are apparently made for end of life/hospice patients. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well our APRIL FIESTA CELEBRATION  April 16-26 is still on for now, but could be re-evaluated and postponed.....

More than 100 non-profits and local organizations count on Fiesta to help fund things like historical preservation, medical research and scholarships.

Image result for san antonio fiesta

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”