Respected Contributor

Re: List of major events not happening due to virus concerns

I wish bars and nightclubs would shut down.  People in closed quarters like that seem to be a breeding ground for the virus to multiply and will also keep drunk drivers off our roads.

Honored Contributor

Two of the psuedo Ivy League colleges in our area announced that the kids will not be coming back to school after Spring Break.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Today the New Mexico governor cancelled the Gathering of Nations Pow-Wow, the world's largest gathering of indigenous people, held every April in Albuquerque.  Also cancelled a number of other large events in the state.  Between that and the tumble in oil prices, our economy is really going to suffer.

I know people who go to that each year. There's an entire craft and jewelry infrastructure of people who rely on such gatherings for the roofs over their heads. I'm concerned about how they are going to fare. Not all of them can just sell things online. I'm not sure what's going to happen to them. Woman Sad

@Porcelain    That's very true.  I know of a woman who comes from Alaska every year to sell sealskin items from fur she herself has harvested.  It's amazing how many people from other countries attend.  It would be a perfect place to pick up the virus though.  There are huge crowds of Native dancers in costume who dance just inches apart, huffing and puffing and sweating.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

I wish bars and nightclubs would shut down.  People in closed quarters like that seem to be a breeding ground for the virus to multiply and will also keep drunk drivers off our roads.

@Reever, what about restaurants, markets, department stores, etc. etc. ad nauseam?

I would not wish or hope for such closures.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Washington states governor stated today that no gathering of more than 250 people will be allowed.  He said they may revist that next week.  

Super Contributor

Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo cancelled after the first week. This is a huge deal in this area. Last year it attracted 2 million people over a 3 week period.!  Small vendors lose money, kids who show their livestock and compete for scholarships lose out in tat opportunity,  people have purchased hotel rooms, tickets to the rodeo and one or more concerts at night ( with big time recordning artists) not to mention the travel time! I feel sorry for all of these people. True, there will be refunds for tickets. I appreciate the abundance of caution.

Honored Contributor

This is meta. The Coronavirus conference scheduled to be held in NY--has been cancelled due to Coronavirus.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-conference-new-york-cancelled-council-foreign-...

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

Hopefully many of these events can be rescheduled at some point.  It’s the prudent thing to do to cancel.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My daughter was going to go to the Aiga Design Conference the end of the month in Pittsburgh, PA and it's been postponed to November.

I saw someone today who told me that her DD who is heavily into competitive cheerleading is going to a competition this weekend in Rhode Island.  They also have another competition scheduled for the end of next month at Disney World. 

I can't believe that this weekend's competition hasn't been canceled!

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

Washington states governor stated today that no gathering of more than 250 people will be allowed.  He said they may revist that next week.  

Would that include things like wedding receptions? Just curious.