Trusted Contributor

Gen X.

Jaded and aloof.

Overpowered by boomers and millennials, but I'm not bitter.

Trusted Contributor

Two years into the Baby Boomer generation. I have always identified with Gen X more so than the BBs.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Trusted Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

@puttypiesmom wrote:

I was googling why the era from 1925 to 1945 was called The Silent Generation and landed on a page from study dot com (wasn't sure if we could put links into our posts) and after reading a couple sentences was "told" I must create an account to read more.

Does anyone belong to study dot com?

It requres payment but seems to be a repository of a wealth of information.  

It asks if you are a teacher or a student.

I don't belong to the study, but did find a video on Youtube wherein a panel discusses the Silent Generation."  Very interesting and possibly mis-named.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_owfM7CiCA

@RoughDraft  I just finished watching the entire 59 minutes.  Thank you!  It was great and so informative.  Nick Clooney one of the interviewees, wow!!  

Trusted Contributor

@Chicagosuburbangirl wrote:

Gen X.

Jaded and aloof.

Overpowered by boomers and millennials, but I'm not bitter.

Interesting comment.  ((hugs)) @Chicagosuburbangirl

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Depends on the chart, I’ve seen charts that vary a bit...there’s a group called Older gen x’ers who are  45-54...I think because there were so many years for the baby boomers, they came up with another group...

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Esteemed Contributor

My grandparents are lost generation and that confused me. Didn't sound like my grandparents. After the war many were disillusioned with the world in general and unwilling to settle. I thought that was interesting. On the farm, they just keep moving along regardless. Must have been urban folks.

The Silent Generation is my mom. These children grew up during depression and war, working hard and keep quiet;  seen and not heard. My WW2 war vet dad was the Greatest Generation.

I'm a Boomer and my kids are one  at the end of Xennial and two Millenials. They all act the same.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Trusted Contributor

@morganjen wrote:

Two years into the Baby Boomer generation. I have always identified with Gen X more so than the BBs.

Same..that’s why some charts have another category-the older genxrs-they would be 45-54 today.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor
Gen X
Definitely the MTV generation.
Respected Contributor
GenX, born in 1976. I'm glad to have grown up in the 80s and early 90s. I would not want to be a kid in today's society.
Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

My generation,( The Silent Generation) was told children should be seen and not heard.  

That's exactly right.  And we were children of war.  Those people were used to keeping secrets and not speaking up to our parents also.  That's when people taught respect to their children.  My mother used to work in the Navy Dept. at her company and made parts for the war machines.  But, I was never NOT HEARD.  I was always, from childhood, a mouthy person.  So I guess I missed the Silent part.