Respected Contributor

I have taken generic Lipitor for two years with no side effects.

Respected Contributor

Re: Lipitor Opinions

[ Edited ]

This is just dumb and dangerous.  Medications are not an "opinion piece" or the subject of a poll.  People can react diferently to the same medicine; I know this from personal experience.  How others react to a medicine is irrelevant to how your Aunt might react.

She has to talk to her doctor about why she's reluctant to take this medicine.  She has to talk to her doctor about possible side effect.  She has to be alert to see if they happen to her and call her doctor if she has concerns once she starts the medication.

Esteemed Contributor

I cannot take lipitor.  I did try and found I was getting very rigid stiff muscles and pain that goes along with it.  I happened to mention it to a friend and they reported the same reaction. I refuse to take it and found something else. I will have to check on the alternative name if you request it. 

Frequent Contributor

Everyone is different, so what worked for me certainly won't work for everyone. So with that caveat, oatmeal and psyllium husks, plus weight loss and a vegetarian diet, has dropped my cholesterol. I was on Lipitor for around 5 years for high cholesterol. I didn't have any side effects from the drug, but, like many people, I prefer to take fewer medications. I had read oatment and psyllium did lower cholesterol, so I gave it a try. My doctor was amazed at the results. I was able to drop the Lipitor. My cholesterol is now in the acceptable range, HDL, LDL and triglycerides. I eat a bowl of oatmeal - whole grain rolled oats, Bob's Red Mill - with a banana every morning and take at least 3 CVS Daily Fiber 100% natural psyllium husk capsules every day. I have been a vegetarian for many years, but I still had high cholesterol. It was adding the oatment and psyllium that made the difference for me. But I do eat a lot of vegetables getting lots of fiber, so that does have some impact, too.

Anyway, good luck. When I took Lipitor I didn't have any side effects.

Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@SuhseK 

You, your aunt, and all the people taking or considering taking a statin really need to do some research. Read the studies. Follow the science. 

High cholesterol does not cause heart disease. FACT. This was proven MANY MANY YEARS AGO. 

The older one gets, the more protective high cholesterol is. People with high cholesterol tend to live longer than those with low cholesterol. 

The evils of statin drugs are well-known. 

Drug companies think everyone should be on a statin. 

Totally agree with you-inflammation is the culprit, not cholesterol. High cholesterol is just a symptom.

Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

DH has been on the generic form for years and his lab numbers are better than when he tried some other drugs for cholesterol. He has had no side effects that we are aware of from it.

same here

Frequent Contributor

@SuhseK 

About diet and cholesterol from the Mayo Clinic -

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/cholesterol/art-20045....

Along with the oatmeal and psyllium, I follow the Mayo Clinic diet recommendations. I eat almonds and walnuts, olive oil, fruit and very little processed foods. I lost about 20 pounds and walk daily. I'm 71, like your aunt.

Respected Contributor

@caw thank you for weighing in with your knowledge!  I know my doctor started me on 10mg of atorvastatin and then did blood work a month later to check my liver enzymes and my cholesterol level.  Both were wonderful!  I have been on this medication for several years now with no issues.  I do take 100mg of COQ10 just as a precaution even though I wasn't having any muscle issues.  I do have a question for you.  My cholesterol is inching up.  My internist is not increasing my dosage of atorvastatin (yet), but if/when he does, should I increase the mg. of COQ10 I am taking?

Honored Contributor

I have taken it for at least 8 yrs I bet.

Not one single side effect....blood work is now excellent!

Honored Contributor

I took Lipitor over a decade ago (maybe longer than that) and had reactions. I had heart racing, heart burn (something I had never experienced before). I stopped.

My mom is 84 and has been on it for over a decade now without any side effects. They switched her to a generic form of it a number of years back, and no issues with that either.