Honored Contributor

Lioness Gives Birth to First Test Tube Cubs!

The birth of the world's first test-tube lion cubs could mark an incredible breakthrough for saving highly endangered big cats, scientists say.

A lioness gave birth to two cubs in South Africa - a male and a female - created through artificial insemination.

The feat could offer hope for saving species like the tiger and the snow leopard who are threatened by extinction, researchers claim.

A team of experts at the University of Pretoria pioneered the research into in-vitro fertilisation (IVF) for big cats.

They harvested the sperm of a male lion, which was placed inside the lioness and she gave birth to two healthy cubs three and a half months later.

Both cubs, who were born at the Ukutulu Game Reserve and Conservation Centre, have been given a clean bill of health. 

Professor Andre Ganswindt of the University of Pretoria Mammal Research Institute said: 'There are tremendous threats to wildlife due to the loss of habitat and other pressures created by human activities which also affect big cats.

'That is why a number of species are listed as vulnerable or endangered but this research could combat the threat of extinction facing several types of big cat around the world'.

The birth of the world's first test-tube lion cubs could mark an incredible breakthrough for saving highly endangered big cats, scientists say. A lioness gave birth to two cubs in South Africa - a male and a female - created through artificial insemination

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6126743/Birth-worlds-test-tube-lion-cubs.html

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Lioness Gives Birth to First Test Tube Cubs!

So cute!!

Sadly they are right-humans have made a mess of the balance of nature.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

OMG those faces! Too cute

Honored Contributor

They're so cute!  That's interesting.  I wonder if the lioness wonders how she got pregnant.  They're probably smart enough to understand how it happens naturally.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom they are adorable...I was thinking along the same lines as @NickNack and wondering about the mother bonding with the cubs as they continue to grow...sometimes the labs intent is good but will it work out the way they intended...I hope there are no issues!

Honored Contributor

@GAQShopr53 wrote:

@KingstonsMom they are adorable...I was thinking along the same lines as @NickNack and wondering about the mother bonding with the cubs as they continue to grow...sometimes the labs intent is good but will it work out the way they intended...I hope there are no issues!

@GAQShopr53, @NickNack

I think that during pregnancy, when the hormones and motherly instinct kicks in, they don't really think about 'how' they got pregnant.

They're wild animals, they rely on their instinct to nurture the young they give birth to. 

Just like the many stories we read of a mother animal taking in a baby animal of a different species and caring for it like it's her own.

That motherly instinct is very strong.

JMO

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Yes, How could any mother resist those 2 faces?! (No matter how they came aboutSmiley Happy

So sweetSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

I'm guessing they somehow brought her into heat artificially and then inseminated her. In any case, I love lions--they're my favorite animal (except for our little pet cats).

Plus, the success of this technique and the knowledge gained may help to deal with human infertility, too.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

So cute!!

Sadly they are right-humans have made a mess of the balance of nature.

Indeed!  Smiley Sad  It's nice to see that some are trying to fix the damage, although it's too late for some.  But doing nothing sure doesn't help.

Such cute babies!   Animal babies are just the best.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Not sure why this is groundbreaking.  Artificial insemination is used with quite a few endangered species and of course with domestic stock like cattle etc, and even pure bred dogs and cats.   It has been used with  Pandas for example here in DC, around the country and of course in China has been very successful.