Honored Contributor

Lion King Artist Creates Beautiful Tribute to Cecil the Lion

Heart

aaron-blaise-cecil-the-lion-king

Aaron Blaise knows the majesty of lions. A former Disney animator, Blaise worked on "The Lion King", serving as the supervising animator for the younger version of Nala. 

And it's his profound respect for the species that comes through in digital art he made in tribute to deceased beloved Cecil, the Zimbabwean lion.

"As you may be able to tell, I am a HUGE animal lover, and it drives me crazy when I see these beautiful creatures destroyed for no good reason," Blaise wrote on his website

"When I heard the news about Cecil, I got inspired to create a tribute image. 
It’s not much, but hopefully it will make people think." 

In the painting, Blaise portrays Cecil's face as appearing in rolling clouds, similar to how Mufasa's face appeared to Simba in The Lion King

In addition to The Lion King, Blaise also contributed to Beauty and the Beast (for which he animated the Beast), Aladdin (he animated Jasmine and her pet tiger, Rajah), Pocahontas, and Mulan
Blaise also co-directed 2003's Brother Bear

He currently works as an animator in Florida.
Honored Contributor

Re: Lion King Artist Creates Beautiful Tribute to Cecil the Lion

[ Edited ]

Feline, I appreciate the sentiment behind it.  I wish it looked less like the Lion King and more like Cecil (dark mane).

His heart was in the right place :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

Feline, I appreciate the sentiment behind it.  I wish it looked less like the Lion King and more like Cecil (dark mane).

I think it might have been intentional, Bernie, so that his entire being and essence is as light-colored as a cloud.

It's not meant to be a perfectly-realistic depiction, more of a spiritual one.  8)

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy

I guess that's one way of looking at it.  It's not my way of looking at it (lol), however I do respect the difference of opinion.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@feline groovy

I guess that's one way of looking at it.  It's not my way of looking at it (lol), however I do respect the difference of opinion.

As I always do yours... and most everyone else's.  ;-)

Although if his mane was darker, it could represent storm clouds.  8)

Trusted Contributor

BEAUTIFUL!

Honored Contributor

What an amazing picture! Thanks so much for sharing it! Heart

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@Bird mama

I agree, it doesn't remind me of Cecil without his unusual black mane.

Nice sentiment, though!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

May the Pride of Cecil live on! Heart  Thanks for sharing feline! Smiley Happy

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

Heart

aaron-blaise-cecil-the-lion-king

Aaron Blaise knows the majesty of lions. A former Disney animator, Blaise worked on "The Lion King", serving as the supervising animator for the younger version of Nala. 

And it's his profound respect for the species that comes through in digital art he made in tribute to deceased beloved Cecil, the Zimbabwean lion.

"As you may be able to tell, I am a HUGE animal lover, and it drives me crazy when I see these beautiful creatures destroyed for no good reason," Blaise wrote on his website

"When I heard the news about Cecil, I got inspired to create a tribute image. 
It’s not much, but hopefully it will make people think." 

In the painting, Blaise portrays Cecil's face as appearing in rolling clouds, similar to how Mufasa's face appeared to Simba in The Lion King

In addition to The Lion King, Blaise also contributed to Beauty and the Beast (for which he animated the Beast), Aladdin (he animated Jasmine and her pet tiger, Rajah), Pocahontas, and Mulan
Blaise also co-directed 2003's Brother Bear

He currently works as an animator in Florida.

I understand why he didn't, but I wish he had put more black into Cecil's mane.  Just a few strokes would have been enough.  It's beautiful though.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986