Honored Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Greenhouse wrote:

@PamfromCT wrote:

Greenhouse,  Thank you for your explanation.  You are more brave than I am.  But, of course, if I were much younger, who knows what I would have done?  I am old now

@PamfromCT - not too brave but I love animals especially lions and elephants...I am not so young but the terrain is not bad, just hot at certain times of the year.  For some reason, I was very calm with the lions, once we got going, the male let me walk with my hand on his back all the way down to the river and half way back ...he was a beauty 

I am sure that experience was a thrill for you, but did the lion have a choice, no.

@mousiegirl - of course the lion has the choice....we were told we were going to walk with the lions; it was very hot and they do not do this after 12 noon and they explain it will not happen if they chose not to walk. it was a little dicey when I was there but then, the lions just started walking; they are not captives   But, if the lions don't walk, no one beats them into submission; you leave ....they are hot, they walk to the water hole....we walk with them....it's their routine....the entire experience is decided by the lions....these lions are loved and after our experience, everyone donated to the project....which is to breed lions and release them to increase the population which has decreased.  They are not abused animals...it's not a zoo or circus.  If you see Rangers who are really devoted to these animals, there is a communication between man and beast and they respect each other...and they love these animals ....I think the animals walk to be with the Rangers......and the lions seemed to like being stroked.  The only prompting that is done is the Rangers calling their names

They are on a reserve, therefore they are captive, i.e. people always around them.

Respected Contributor

Mousiegirl, i unferstand you will never go on a safari, but dont bash someone because they had a once in a lifetime opportunity to do so.  

Would yu go to Yellowstone to see the animals? I did and it was great, but there are people who think buffalos were hairy cows. People get injured for being too close and if an animal gets too used to humans, its put down. I dont think Yellowstone should be closed due to these encounters. Its a magical place. Its a delicate blance of man and animals. It sounds like the safari Greenhouse went on has found that balance.  Again, I dont think she deserves the guilt trip because she was able to travel and experience somethng that incredible. I know I wouldnt turn down an opportunity like that!

Honored Contributor

Those Africian wildlife reserves are huge, thousands of acres.  If animals want to be away from people, there is plenty of room to do it.  Many rarely, if ever, see a human.  They can have as much or as little contact as they desire.

i think it's admirable that people want to spend their money and travel to Africa where it's blazing hot and dusty to see the animals first-hand and get to know more about them and the conservation efforts hopefully helping preserve them for future generations.  They go to shoot pictures, not guns.  There is not enough being done as we've seen by the slaughter of Cecil and hundreds of elephants.  These safaris help foster interest by the public in supporting conservation efforts.

i would love to go.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

darn............

Valued Contributor

Re: Lion Kills Safari Guide

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure I understand the point of what type of safari a person is on and the level of danger people can be in, in relation to the possibility of being eaten by a lion.

Whether people enter in order to either hunt or to just admire the animals, its all still a wild environment full of wild life. While safaring can perhaps come across as something very civilized and well-orchestrated, one is still entering a wild and potentially very dangerous environment.

In that sense, its not too unlike taking a journey into Outer Space. If they ever get the Spaceport operating, and recreational trips into Space become accessible and "user-friendly", the passengers will never be able to say that they're 100% safe just because they paid a lot of money and they're going as an adventure vs a mission backed by NASA.

It will always remain fact that they're doing something with a level of danger.

People don't get eaten by wild lions - whether they're in a reserve or not - unless they got too close. It doesn't mean they got too close for bad reasons (such as to hunt and kill) but clearly they got too close and did SOMETHING (whether innocently or unwittingly) which prompted the animal to attack.

A guide, like in the situation of this thread, called the lion for a reason. As a guide, it was his job to make the experience as "full" for the tourists as possible. He wasn't calling the lion to dinner (well, not on purpose). He wasn't calling it to come in from the rain.

He was most likely calling it as to get the lion to look or approach so his tourists could get a better view or camera shot (or "safari experience").

But these animals aren't trained performing lions. The surroundings, no matter how comfortable the guides might become with them, are still wild and dangerous.

In fact, like any workplace accident, its sometimes due to a worker forgetting himself or being too comfortable in the job. A good worker in a highly dangerous job never forgets safety first no matter how long he's been on the job or how accustomed they become to the environment or job they enter each day.

So it doesn't much matter if the lion was within a reserve's boundaries or not. A reserve is essentially just a protected WILD environment. Its not a euphemism for a tamed environment.

And sometimes tourist safaris or their guides seem to think it makes some difference when it comes to their level of safety. But as we know, it doesn't.

In a sense its like the Grand Canyon. No matter how common a family vacation destination it is or how approachable it might seem from the southern rim...its a vast, wild, potentially deadly dangerous environment. Any ranger will tell people that a million times. And yet, you still see naive or defiant (or stupid) tourists attempting to hike it in 100-d heat wearing nothing but flip flops and carrying no fluids other the ice cream bar they bought back at the Grand Canyon Village gift shop.

Honored Contributor

Homegirl wrote:

I have to wonder why you started this thread.  

My guess would be for the sole purpose of stirring the pot and getting people worked up again, now that the Cecil threads have calmed down and left page 1.

I think the poster truly enjoys stirring the pot and fighting with people on the board.  Just read her other posts.

Honored Contributor

That's like jumping into the ocean, then being surprised when a shark attacks.

Smiley shark.gif
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@makeup addict wrote:

I think the OP started the thread since so many people wanted the dentist to die a slow and painful death, amoungst other things when cecil was killed that she was being sarcastic to see if the same would be said in this scenario. I vote that we dont go down the path about hunting. There are many views on it and we know it so why bother rehashng it.

this guide followed the lions to a pride with cubs, the lion protected his pride. This is nature in action. No one wantso the lion punished for his natural instinct just as no one killed the stingray that killed Steve Irwin. 

Greeenhouse, i dont think bad of you for going on a safari, in fact I think its quite wonderful!  I havent thought about travelling to Africa. Austraila and New Zealand are on my list of places to see before Africa, but now I keep thinking about giraffes peeking in on me at a hotel.  They are so neat!  I love elephants too.  

@makeup addict - I have been fascinated by Africa since childhood.  I had to wait until retirement to finally go as it is a long trip.  Lions, elephants and giraffes are my favorites too.  I developed a fondness for Zebra because they have no fear and come right up to you and they kinda murmur at you.   Australia and New Zealand on my list too and I am going in January for a month.  I can't wait; I have one event where I have breakfast with the koalas but you can't touch them any longer.  Put Africa on your list if you love animals, it is a special place.  I had a wonderful interaction with an elephant who loved to swim in the pool at night.  The animals are not tame but quite accustomed to humans. 

Esteemed Contributor

@makeup addict wrote:

Mousiegirl, i unferstand you will never go on a safari, but dont bash someone because they had a once in a lifetime opportunity to do so.  

Would yu go to Yellowstone to see the animals? I did and it was great, but there are people who think buffalos were hairy cows. People get injured for being too close and if an animal gets too used to humans, its put down. I dont think Yellowstone should be closed due to these encounters. Its a magical place. Its a delicate blance of man and animals. It sounds like the safari Greenhouse went on has found that balance.  Again, I dont think she deserves the guilt trip because she was able to travel and experience somethng that incredible. I know I wouldnt turn down an opportunity like that!

@makeup addict - thank you; you have a good understanding of man, nature and animals and the experience was tranformative.  I will never forget my trip nor do I regret it.  Many people go to Africa just to photograph the beautiful animals in the wild not to kill them, hurt them or endanger them in any way.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Those Africian wildlife reserves are huge, thousands of acres.  If animals want to be away from people, there is plenty of room to do it.  Many rarely, if ever, see a human.  They can have as much or as little contact as they desire.

i think it's admirable that people want to spend their money and travel to Africa where it's blazing hot and dusty to see the animals first-hand and get to know more about them and the conservation efforts hopefully helping preserve them for future generations.  They go to shoot pictures, not guns.  There is not enough being done as we've seen by the slaughter of Cecil and hundreds of elephants.  These safaris help foster interest by the public in supporting conservation efforts.

i would love to go.

@Kachina624 - yes, you are correct.  I send regular contributions to Lion Encounter because I interacted with these beautiful animals and observed first hand the conservation efforts.  If I were younger, I would volunteer to live and work there.  I was stunned by the beauty of the animals in their habitat but fascinated and a bit envious of the relationship between the animals and humans.  I hope you get the opportunity to go.