Esteemed Contributor

Greenhouse,  One additional thought.  I was brave enough to go on a trail ride in Zion National Park, a few years ago, riding a mule.  Do you remember Goldie Hawn in Private Benjamin?  I'm a pansy.  I didn't want to even gently hit the mule on the side with the switch , even when it stopped on the trail and wouldn't move.  The mule's name was Buckshot.  Thought we could all use a laugh!

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Armed? So, if one of the lions decided he didn't enjoy being the entertainment and attempted to express his displeasure, he would have been shot? Outrageous.  There is no good reason to invade their territory for the pleasure of a bunch of selfish experience seekers.

The Rangers I met in Botswana  had exactly one bullet in a gun; we joked about it and they love these animals; it was part of a breeding program and the particular animals I interacted with were quite accustomed to humans.   They told us they never had to shoot one and they have many means of distracting an animal before shooting one.  An experienced ranger, will show dominance by certain actions and never shoot first.  People go on safaris because we love the animals in the wild free, nothing is more beautiful and would never want to see one killed but they are wild and it can happen so Rangers must protect people who visit and donate to the cause.  The animals on reserves are not too territorial. In Lion Encounter they are born there and cared for by humans until release when they are 2; they share their territory; there are no prides or younger Cubs; there are plenty of zebra and springbok they hunt....lions unlike people have no need to kill unless you threaten them or show aggression.  They just don't kill a human for the h**l of it.  The ranger in this case was inexperienced or too confident 

Respected Contributor

Re: Lion Kills Safari Guide

[ Edited ]

this sounds just like a mellie thread - totally illogical and missing the point.   Wake up the board?  Sorry, no.  There is another word for that.

You might have a point if the lion then skinned the tour guide and cut off his head so he could mount it at his lion's den.

And if we were down to less than 30,000 humans and the lions were in the billions for population.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Esteemed Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

Greenhouse,  Thank you for your explanation.  You are more brave than I am.  But, of course, if I were much younger, who knows what I would have done?  I am old now

@PamfromCT - not too brave but I love animals especially lions and elephants...I am not so young but the terrain is not bad, just hot at certain times of the year.  For some reason, I was very calm with the lions, once we got going, the male let me walk with my hand on his back all the way down to the river and half way back ...he was a beauty 

Honored Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

@PamfromCT wrote:

Greenhouse,  Thank you for your explanation.  You are more brave than I am.  But, of course, if I were much younger, who knows what I would have done?  I am old now

@PamfromCT - not too brave but I love animals especially lions and elephants...I am not so young but the terrain is not bad, just hot at certain times of the year.  For some reason, I was very calm with the lions, once we got going, the male let me walk with my hand on his back all the way down to the river and half way back ...he was a beauty 

I am sure that experience was a thrill for you, but did the lion have a choice, no.

Esteemed Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

Greenhouse,  One additional thought.  I was brave enough to go on a trail ride in Zion National Park, a few years ago, riding a mule.  Do you remember Goldie Hawn in Private Benjamin?  I'm a pansy.  I didn't want to even gently hit the mule on the side with the switch , even when it stopped on the trail and wouldn't move.  The mule's name was Buckshot.  Thought we could all use a laugh!

@PamfromCT - I could never ride a horse because I don't like pulling on the reins...I went to a donkey farm in Italy.  I met a bunch who were so friendly; they were like big dogs and beautiful faces.  I was petting one and the other donkey got a little jealous and pulled the strap on my cross body bag and broke it ...took off with it; my passport was in the bag.  I panicked but he was in a coral and the owner a little old Italian lady scolded him got it back and he actually looked ashamed...too cute...so I could never hit a mule with a switch either .....so I understand your reticence....I would be at a standstill on the trail too! 

Honored Contributor

I can't see that the number of bullets somehow makes it acceptable. If guns are involved then the animals are in danger. If people want to get up close to lions then they should be willing to accept whatever consequences result. Nothing brave about it. 

Prisons are costing us a lot, maybe we could have walking tours for those who want to experience murders up close. At least they did something to justify being the made objects for those wanting something more than what Disney can offer.

Valued Contributor
Honored Contributor

Cats, lions, tigers, etc.  have a keen sense of intuition. Just maybe this lion knew that Cecil had been lured out and shot, suffered for forty hours, and then was killed.  This lion might have sensed immediate danger, and attacked the guide, as an act of self-defense.  After all, the lion probably perceived the guide and this group as lion trackers and 'hunters'.  It is a possibility.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@surfk. Relax surfk.  This was done tongue-in-cheek to wake up this dull board.  I did think it strange nobody mentioned it when it happened several days ago.  I realize it's their territory, their rules.

Not the best topic to choose for this, but thanks for the heads up. Now I know to just ignore anything you post.

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In