Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

The animals close to Cecil are probably sensing that something 'isn't right'; that something went horribly wrong in their habitat.  Therefore, some of them might be a bit agitated and in  self-defense mode.  It hurts my heart because some of them had to 'suffer' along with Cecil for forty hours, listening and/or sensing, possibly knowing that one of their buddies was in major trouble.  Again, my heart is hurting, just thinking about it.

@ROMARY

And proof of that was evident by Jericho continuing to visit the site where Cecil was slaughtered, long after his death.

Smiley MSN Emoticon sad 182.gif
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@surfk wrote:

Personally, the day I see a pride of wild lions walking down my street, flashing their colors and wearing leather jackets as they brandish Jarrett hunting rifles, is the day I'll start to worry about the changing nature of wildlife.

Until then, I accept the fact that when I enter their turf, its their rules. If they eat me, they eat me.

After all, the same rules apply in reverse whenever I enter a supermarket. It would be a foolish moose to wander over to the meat counter in, oh, say, Wasilla, Alaska (talk about your wild animals)!!!!

good post!

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

The animals close to Cecil are probably sensing that something 'isn't right'; that something went horribly wrong in their habitat.  Therefore, some of them might be a bit agitated and in  self-defense mode.  It hurts my heart because some of them had to 'suffer' along with Cecil for forty hours, listening and/or sensing, possibly knowing that one of their buddies was in major trouble.  Again, my heart is hurting, just thinking about it.

@ROMARY

And proof of that was evident by Jericho continuing to visit the site where Cecil was slaughtered, long after his death.

Let us not forget the story of Christian the lion who not only remembered his owners after a year in the wild  but introduced them to 2 lionesses who accepted them as well.  These animals have memory and they work on instinct to survive. 

Honored Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

@ROMARY

Let us not forget the story of Christian the lion who not only remembered his owners after a year in the wild  but introduced them to 2 lionesses who accepted them as well.  These animals have memory and they work on instinct to survive. 

@Stray

So true Greenhouse!

I love the story of Christian and watch it often! So heartwarming!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Greenhouse wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

@ROMARY

@Stray

So true Greenhouse!

I love the story of Christian and watch it often! So heartwarming!

I love the story too! I watched the story just today with all this lion talk.  I think we humans tend to underestimate these beautiful animals.  They are smart and capable of a lot more than we think.  

Respected Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

@ROMARY

that story makes me  cry every single time.  it's precious.

Honored Contributor

In the US the lion may well have been killed and any offspring sent to a zoo to live out the rest of their poor lives.

Blaze

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Valued Contributor

Re: Lion Kills Safari Guide

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

In the US the lion may well have been killed and any offspring sent to a zoo to live out the rest of their poor lives.

Blaze

I even think of the White Tigers of Siegfried & Roy.  Here were magnificent, well-kept (as far as we know), well-trained exotic tigers, tamed as much as any wild animal can possibly be and still tragedy ensued.

And the white tiger which ripped Roy's face off wasn't even trying to hurt him.

Its just to demonstrate that even in the most controlled, "tamed", "trained", well-cared for circumstances, wild animals are not ever to be underestimated or have their physical beings undermined by our imposed thoughts of cuteness or approachability.

One swipe of a tiger's paw can fillet a person. And that's when the tiger is only trying to say "hello".

So when one safaris and takes to the open savanna as to pursue (even just with cameras) wild cats and other wildlife, one can never ever let one's guard down. Respect for nature (in general) is the ultimate safety measure. Farmers know it. Seamen know it. People who work with wild animals know it.

Oddly, sometimes with some people when they take in wild life as a recreation, they sort of forget that and permit the "rules" of vacation or of "fun" to take over.

One sees it even at some zoos where IDIOTS will climb into the polar bear habitat or think they can "hide" among the gorillas at dinner time. I mean, they deserve to become People Tartar as they disregard all common sense and respect for the nature of, well, nature.

And there is always a goonball in any group. Any time there is a bus tour or some group of people instructed to do something or warned not to do something, there is that one person who just has to stand up in the rollercoaster just as it hits the first loop-de-loop.

And they're always the person who later wonders why they were the only one decapitated on the "Roller Thunder of Death".

I swear, if The Captain and Maria warned all of their children to shut up and stay hidden from the Nazis, some one of their kids would have just had to make a fake farting noise as to get Himmler's attention.

Little known fact: "The Sound of Music" originally had eight children in its 1959 debut. But the youngest boy, little Von Trapp family clown Rupert, was dragged away by the SS in the original out-of-town previews. When it opened on Broadway, producers felt it best to cut the kid completely from the show. The character's utter stupidity in the face of grave danger seemed to undermine the efforts of the main characters to save themselves and their other children from the wrath of the Third Reich. It ruined the emotional arc of the story.

Honored Contributor

So true, surfk, one can never assume with an animal as they are unpredictable, and a wild animal is always a wild animal, with those instincts.  Even domestic pets can turn on their owners for whatever reasons, so animals must receive respect for their nature and their space.

Trusted Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

I've posted with Kachina before and immediately picked up on the irony/sarcasm or whatever you want to call it.  I'm sorry everyone else took it so literally.

It was neither. It was to "stir the pot". Typical.