Honored Contributor

Re: Linda Ronstadt

[ Edited ]

I don't think she ever recorded a song that I actively disliked... I adored her growing up and while I wasn't as big a fan of her 'pop covers' or most of her duets as of most of the other songs she recorded, she even brought something special to those. I'll always remember the first song I ever heard from her, "Long Long Time"...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think the last CD of hers I got was one she did of mostly cajun music with Ann Savoy. While I can't say that all the songs resonated with me, they did a haunting and lovely version of 'Walk Away Renee'...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN1-UQuJzqY

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Parkinson's Disease robbed LR of her extraordinary voice.

Joni Mitchell cannot no longer sing due to a stroke.

Honored Contributor

Whitney Houston - Greatest Love Of All 

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal wrote:

She could really belt out a song.  Blue Beyou by was great by her.  

Anyone or any song you'd like to hear that you haven't for awhile?

Someone to Lay Down Beside Me from her Hasten Down the Wind album.  I wore that CD out.  Also, Dark End of the Street -- I believe that is the name of the song, but it is one of my favs

Contributor

[ Edited ]

@maestra wrote:

Parkinson's Disease robbed LR of her extraordinary voice.

Joni Mitchell cannot no longer sing due to a stroke.

I still listen to the Joni Mitchell Court and Spark.  Every song is great on that CD

Honored Contributor

I'm a huge Linda Ronstadt fan!    Such a stunningly beautiful voice!  I have all of her 'best of' on my iPods.

There are a lot of songs/artists from the past that I really enjoy because the older rock and disco are favorites of mine, along with classical.   

Respected Contributor

I think Linda Ronstadt had a beautiful voice also.  

Respected Contributor

The first time I heard "Long Long Time," my college boyfriend had just broken up with me (he came back, btw, and I ended up breaking up with him---ah, life....) Anyway, I was in my first summer as a newspaper intern, and I was just pulling into a downtown parking ramp to go to work and that song came on the radio. I had never heard til then. I parked my car and listened to every word, and I sat there crying.  I remember I had to redo my eye make up so I could walk into the newsroom.  I hadn't heard the song for decades but I thought of it when I learned that my long-ago boyfriend died of cancer, so I looked up the song on Google and played it, and it still made me cry. It took me right back to being 20 years old.  If only that 20-year-old girl had known that she would meet her perfect husband – her best friend – and have a great marriage! 

Ronstadt's  voice was incredible. It was sad when she became ill and couldn't sing anymore. 

Valued Contributor

I own several CDs (and albums!) of hers, and love them all. She came to my town a few years ago; it must have been one of her last tours. She sang beautifully but couldn't possibly cover all of her hits...too many! One of my favorites is Trio, the CD she made with Dolly Parton and Emmylou Harris. Also, anyone heard "I Think it's Gonna Work Out Fine," her duet with James Taylor?!