Honored Contributor

"Somewhere Out There" Linda Rondstat and James Ingram, my favorite❤️...

https://youtu.be/RkI-B2JWSZI

~H~
Respected Contributor

I loved her earlier Different Drummer w/Stone Pony (Jackson Browne).

Respected Contributor

Long, Long Time always invoked images of a man I loved with all my heart who did not feel the same way about me.

It was a long, long time ago, thank heaven.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I remember that Linda Rondstadt and Vicki Carr had to both hide the fact that they were Mexican.  

She's as much German as she is Mexican.  Her sister's name is Gretchen.   Her mother is Jewish.

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

I remember that Linda Rondstadt and Vicki Carr had to both hide the fact that they were Mexican.  

She's as much German as she is Mexican.  Her sister's name is Gretchen.   Her mother is Jewish.

@songbird@DiAnne

I believe it was her great-grandfather who married a Mexican national.  I don't ever recall a controversy over her Mexican heritage; in fact, Linda herself has stated that she grew up singing at home with her family with a vareity of venues.  Her Mexican heritage, as well as German, Dutch, etc. has always influenced her wide range of musical styles.

Her mom has several ethnic identities; not sure if Jewish is one of them? 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Forgive me for not reading all the pages to this thread.... but I wanted to say what an incredible voice she had.... she also sang in the Mariachi style.... 

(From Wiki):

Mariachi (/mɑːriˈɑːi/; Spanish: [maˈɾjatʃi]) is a musical expression that dates back to at least 19th century Western Mexico. It is a tradition that can be defined by eight socio-musical elements: mariachi instrumentation and texture, musical genres and subgenres, performance methods and styles, singing styles and forms, dance styles, performative space, performance clothing, and the word "mariachi". Each element has its own history, originated at varying moments in time and in different regions of the Western Mexican countryside, and some, not all, had to have converged in order for the mariachi tradition to be what it has become.

If you want a real treat, listen to some of her Mariachi recordings.  As good as her popular music was (and I LOVE it).... you'll be blown away by the richness and vocal variety and expression she displays in this style....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

@maestra wrote:

Long, Long Time always invoked images of a man I loved with all my heart who did not feel the same way about me.

It was a long, long time ago, thank heaven.

@maestra I loved that song, too, and so many others that have been mentioned.  Desperado is one of my favorites.  What a beautiful voice! 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't remember Ronstadt EVER hiding that he had Mexican heritage. She even put out albums that honored her heritage. Besides, in her heyday, why would anyone care what her heritage was. It's only been in the last decade or so that the furor over those south of the border has reached a fever pitch. Most of us didn't care back when, nor do we care now what someone's heritage is.

Honored Contributor

Loved her collaboration with Dolly Parton and Emmylou Harris singing After the Goldrush, especially.

Honored Contributor

Re: Linda Rondstadt

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 wrote:

@songbird wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

@songbird@DiAnne

I believe it was her great-grandfather who married a Mexican national.  I don't ever recall a controversy over her Mexican heritage; in fact, Linda herself has stated that she grew up singing at home with her family with a vareity of venues.  Her Mexican heritage, as well as German, Dutch, etc. has always influenced her wide range of musical styles.

Her mom has several ethnic identities; not sure if Jewish is one of them? 

I remember reading that.  Linda was from a very wealthy successful family.  In the 1950's her family (she was on the front cover) was featured in LIFE magazine.  This was all on her father's side.  Her father was a singer, and the  owner of a big string of hardware stores. Ronstadt is a very common German name.  All of her siblings could sing, but she was the best.  A younger brother tried to make a career, but didn't stay long as a singer. Her grandfather was an inventor and owned a huge ranch.  She was even at one time a debutante.  So in Arizona society, she was it. Yeah the Mexican heritage was was very small.  She had to learn Spanish to record  some songs.