Honored Contributor

Lincoln Memorial Was Dedicated on this Day in 1922

Have you been to the Memorial?  How did you react?  I was greatly moved.  I have visited just one other major sculpture, Michelangelo's "David" in Florence.

Had similar reactions, for different reasons.  Viewing "David", I felt like the very air around the sculpture was somehow "charged"--  it's hard to describe.

Love the scene in "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" when Jimmy Stewart visits the Lincoln Memorial.  Didn't Marian Anderson stage a famous concert there, after being refused a different venue?   A great fulcrum in stone around which America swirls...

Honored Contributor

Re: Lincoln Memorial Was Dedicated on this Day in 1922

[ Edited ]

@Oznell, I have been there.  I was a young girl at the time. I don't know that I had any reaction to that. But the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, JFK's grave site, The cemetary in Washington D.C. Those things on that line, when I was older, did take my breath away. I have to add I was saddened to see Bobby Kennedy's grave site too. That was very close to me age wise. I related. 

My gosh yes, let me add THE WALL too. (edited to add this).

Frequent Contributor

I have visited the Lincoln Memorial several times and, I agree, have been moved every single time. I love visiting Washington D.C. The memorial that really "got" to me was the Wall...My daughter (17 at the time) and I both started weeping. One of the volunteers asked if we needed help finding a name and neither one of us could even answer him because we were so overwrought. It was a memorable experience. 

Honored Contributor

Breathtaking

Stunning & breathtaking

@Oznell

Esteemed Contributor

I've visited the Memorial.  Impressive.  The boot is larger than one would imagine as is the rest of the sculpture. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

Oznell, I believe that Marion Anderson was prohibited from performing at D.A.R. Constitution Hall, the same venue where my sons and I, decades later, went to a B.B. King and Bobby "Blue" Bland concert.  Things/times do change, don't they?

The Lincoln Memorial leaves one in awe.  I was fortunate enough to live in Florence for a month when I was younger, and seeing the David was an almost daily occurrence that never failed to thrill.  Really, no matter what life has thrown at me, I have to remember to be grateful for many good times.

Honored Contributor

Absolutely true, Goldie76.

Respected Contributor

The first time my husband and I visited the Memorial it was around 10 p.m., after a late dinner in the area.  We were driving by on our way back to the hotel.  It was deserted.  We decided to park the car right across and walked up the steps.  (You could do things like that way back when.)  

He was magnificent and we stood there taking pictures for about 15 minutes when a security guard showed up and offered to take our pictures together.  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~