Esteemed Contributor

Lightbulb questions and enclosed fixtures

Does anyone know what type/brand of bulbs are safe to use in enclosed fixtures?  I just read that CFL bulbs should NOT be used in those enclosed ceiling fixtures.  It looks like some LEDs can't be used either...what are you using?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lightbulb questions and enclosed fixtures

Second attempt at posting to this.  In a nutshell I have the LED bulbs everywhere.  The electric company even sent a contract representative to hand them out and put them in for customers.  (Maryland surcharges, taxes, whatever on every bill every month---crazy I know).  The incandescent bulbs on on their way out... sad to say.  In any case the rep told me it was more efficient to leave these bulbs on for longer periods of time so they don't blow out.  He gave me 13 bulbs.  Did that 2 years ago as well.  

Honored Contributor

The problem with closed fixtures is heat. Both CFL's and LED's use transformers/ballasts to take house current and make it into what the CFL/LED need and they create a fair amount of heat in the process. In a closed fixture there's no where for that heat to go, so it continues to build. Once it reaches a point where electronics get affected (as low as 100-120 degrees in some cases) you increase the chance for failure. (If you read your owner's manuals for pretty much everything electronic, you'll find that they have a safe range of temperatures in which to operate the device and it's usually below 120 degrees.) The lightbulb esssentially coooks itself in a closed fixture. Normal light bulbs don't care how hot it is, they just keep working, so you can use them in a closed fixture. CFL's and LED's do care however, so you're a bit more limited.

A lot of people don't appreciate how warm an LED can get, but I've seen them melt polyurethane foam after being on just a few minutes, so even the LED's themselves can get pretty warm. (Which oddly enough is why we can't use incandescent bulbs because of the all the energy they waste in the form of heat.) Some manufacturers use larger heatsinks and more durable components specifically so the bulbs can be used in a closed fixture, but you'll have to read each bulb to find one that'll work for you.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

All of our enclosed fixtures I make sure have a small gap to let some of the heat they generate escape. That goes for incandescent and LED. 

I like lots of light in places where I really Want Light. I use 100 watt bulbs in places that say 75 watt max. Never had an issue with any of the hundreds of closed fixtures I have had in any of my places or dwellings?

Would I suggest you or anyone else do the same? No I would not. The only place I am super concerned about heat? That would be my many thousands of $$$$$ of electronic equipment? I've been known to position fans to help keep my equipment away from being destroyed by heat.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)