Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lifesaving Drug Goes From $13.50 A Pill To $750 A Pill, Overnight

2 candidates have made proposals concerning pricing. This needs to be a issue that all candidates should take a stand on.
Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

Interesting take son this thread.  Hmmmmm.  So MANY folks have offspring that chased after educational degrees that someone someplace has to employ them.  They require nice salaries and benefits.  That has to be generated somewhere.  Also those that invest in the stock of the drug companies want heavy dividends.  Not to mention the brokers who went to school in business to ask for a nice cut of the money to support their lives and whims.  Lots of folks have their hands in the pot.  If we are to offer our citizens what they consider decent jobs and salaries we must remember, the money has to come from somewhere.  YOU. 

Eh, I have an advanced degree from a Fancy University so I guess that qualifies me as an education chaser.  Some of my closest school friends and I make very little money doing work that we believe in and work that we hope benefits our fellow human beings.  There are still many people who believe that how you earn your money is more important than how much of it you earn.  I have certainly met people who could care less about the implications of their jobs so long as they're well paid; I personally find their company and their way of life to be disagreeable.

This nation wasn't built by people trying to finance a lifestyle, and I believe that most of my fellow citizens on this board would agree that our duty to provide life-saving medication at a reasonable cost outweighs our duty to provide indecently high-paying jobs to some Big Pharma hacks.  

Honored Contributor

@Anita Bourbon wrote:

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

Interesting take son this thread.  Hmmmmm.  So MANY folks have offspring that chased after educational degrees that someone someplace has to employ them.  They require nice salaries and benefits.  That has to be generated somewhere.  Also those that invest in the stock of the drug companies want heavy dividends.  Not to mention the brokers who went to school in business to ask for a nice cut of the money to support their lives and whims.  Lots of folks have their hands in the pot.  If we are to offer our citizens what they consider decent jobs and salaries we must remember, the money has to come from somewhere.  YOU. 

Eh, I have an advanced degree from a Fancy University so I guess that qualifies me as an education chaser.  Some of my closest school friends and I make very little money doing work that we believe in and work that we hope benefits our fellow human beings.  There are still many people who believe that how you earn your money is more important than how much of it you earn.  I have certainly met people who could care less about the implications of their jobs so long as they're well paid; I personally find their company and their way of life to be disagreeable.

This nation wasn't built by people trying to finance a lifestyle, and I believe that most of my fellow citizens on this board would agree that our duty to provide life-saving medication at a reasonable cost outweighs our duty to provide indecently high-paying jobs to some Big Pharma hacks.  

I don't understand why people think going to college is all about job training, and it darn well ought to be a well paying job.  

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Valued Contributor

Happening to me as well. One of my melds used to be a $20 copayment...thanks to olalacare....we now must pay $70.00/ month! 

My DH and I worked in healthcare all our lives. And now I'm very ill. I have to juggle my Medes to try and make them last longer!

never thought I would see this in our country!

Honored Contributor

@Gemspirit wrote:

Happening to me as well. One of my melds used to be a $20 copayment...thanks to olalacare....we now must pay $70.00/ month! 

My DH and I worked in healthcare all our lives. And now I'm very ill. I have to juggle my Medes to try and make them last longer!

That's so sad.  I'm very sorry.

Sad to say Obama care accomplished one thing - to make the insurance companies richer.  That was its whole purpose. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have noticed a disturbing trend where health insurance companies are removing drugs from their formularies, raising the prices or refusing to pay for drugs.  I do believe this is a direct result of Obamacare.

Turin and Rodelis haven't justified the increases in pricing. 

Frequent Contributor

This drug has been around since the 1950's, so this pharmaceutical company is GREEDY, GREEDY, GREEDY!!!

Honored Contributor

UPDATE:

Price-gouging pharma bro under investigation for corporate looting, fraud and stalking

This isn’t the first time Martin Shkreli, the most hated man on the Internet, has attracted criticism for his unscrupulous business dealings.

Shkreli (a self-trained biologist) founded the biotech company Retrophin, but he was “unceremoniously dumped” Sept. 30, 2014, as chief executive after the company’s board of directors concluded “Shkreli had committed stock-trading irregularities and other violations of securities rules,” reported Bloomberg.

The company he founded in 2009 sued Shkreli last month for $65 million in damages, claiming the ex-hedge fund manager gave away Retrophin shares to friends and used the biotech firm’s assets to pay off personal debts and keep afloat his sinking investment firm, MSMB Capital Management.

A filing made in November 2014 with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission showed Shkreli pulled in nearly $3 million in gross proceeds as he continued selling company stock while simultaneously urging investors to buy into Retrophin — which the rapper-quoting then-CEO hyped on his Twitter account.

And it goes on... more on link:

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/09/price-gouging-pharma-bro-under-investigation-for-corporate-looting-f...

Martin Shkreli (Twitter)

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Esteemed Contributor

@brii wrote:

@Gemspirit wrote:

That's so sad.  I'm very sorry.

Sad to say Obama care accomplished one thing - to make the insurance companies richer.  That was its whole purpose. 

That would be incorrect.  The Insurance and Drug companies have been systemically raising prices for decades.  

After the economy collapsed (2008) , Pharmaceutical companies have  raised prices sometimes 500%, before the presidential election. 

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Esteemed Contributor

Its totally pathetic that drug companies and insurance companies get to dictate care and who lives and who dies. Money hungry greed has sadly become more important than human lives. That's all I have to say. It makes me SICK!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles