Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lifesaving Drug Goes From $13.50 A Pill To $750 A Pill, Overnight

I heard this on the local news.  Wow.  If a patent runs out on a drug, other companies can get the recipe and produce it for much less.  Maybe this will happen.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

@Smaug wrote:

Hedge fund scum

HF

I hope you never get sick Hedge Fund Scum.  You know the old saying...  Payback Is A ...........!!!!!

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Honored Contributor

I'd never heard of this drug and assumed from the initial discussion that it was new.... my apologies for the assumption....

....but even MORE outrage that someone would do this to people who have needed this drug and depended on the lower price.  Outrageous.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yep, perfectly legal in our morally corrupt country.  Another reason why we are certainly not the greatest/best country now.  Humans are  base vile creatures. I'm ashamed to be one.

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Smaug wrote:

Hedge fund scum

HF

He even looks like a <short for Richard>.  Smiley Wink

I understand the notion of making money.  But to make it where you profit margin, especially on medical items that are life/death, in the hundreds of thousands PERCENT, or more, is just beyond wrong.

Esteemed Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

I'm sure I'll take a hit for this but there are two things going on here (well three if you include just plain greed).

The cost to develop these drugs, treatments and cures is so huge, and the money has to be made somewhere. Not that I condone this kind of thing, just stating that it happens.

The longer I live, the more I wonder if those who say that "there will not be enough money in a cure, therefore we don't get them" aren't so wrong.  The money is in the drugs and treatments. If we make it go away, so goes the money to be made from it. Just a thought.

He didn't develop the drug, it has been in use for 60 years.

I've read where this is the new thing: buy an old trusted drug, NOT a new one, and raise the price dramatically.

I am not condoning the practice but many drugs are old and become ineffective, so prices sometimes are raised in order to fund research for better ones to treat the same conditions. 

Respected Contributor

Our country doesn't care about their citizens!  This is just wrong! 

I myself have Obamacare and I am just dreading seeing how much the premiums have gone up this next enrollment period.  I've heard the premiums are skyrocketing! 

Honored Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

I'm sure I'll take a hit for this but there are two things going on here (well three if you include just plain greed).

The cost to develop these drugs, treatments and cures is so huge, and the money has to be made somewhere. Not that I condone this kind of thing, just stating that it happens.

The longer I live, the more I wonder if those who say that "there will not be enough money in a cure, therefore we don't get them" aren't so wrong.  The money is in the drugs and treatments. If we make it go away, so goes the money to be made from it. Just a thought.

He didn't develop the drug, it has been in use for 60 years.

I've read where this is the new thing: buy an old trusted drug, NOT a new one, and raise the price dramatically.

I am not condoning the practice but many drugs are old and become ineffective, so prices sometimes are raised in order to fund research for better ones to treat the same conditions. 

That isn't what happened.  The drug is effective and this guy did not buy it to make it better. 

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Our country doesn't care about their citizens!  This is just wrong! 

I myself have Obamacare and I am just dreading seeing how much the premiums have gone up this next enrollment period.  I've heard the premiums are skyrocketing! 

All premiums are going up and this is one reason.  

Honored Contributor

The NYTimes gives other examples of drugs this is happening to.  One drug went from $500 a bottle to $10,800.00 a bottle.  

Also, the hedge fund buyer pictured above has a history of questionable financial moves.