Honored Contributor

Re: Life is too short to hate the body you’re in

@Lali1 

I think that the conclusion you have reached is a very healthy one!  I know I struggle with this as well.  As we age a lot of us have weight issues and its much harder to keep a positive body image.  My husband tells me all the time, you are too critical of yourself.  Of course, he would love me whether I weighed 110 lbs or 200 lbs!  But the point is, I want to look good and feel food!  If I don't feel I look decent, then my psychological health is bad!  As they say, mind and body, the health of one, affects the other!  Good for you!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@catter70 

What bothers me and I know it shouldn't, is that people judge you if you have extra weight.  It's true!  Not everyone, of course, but a lot of people do.  It's like they think you are lazy or don't care.  As you wrote, you have some serious medical issues to contend with and this impedes your health and what you can and cannot do.  I have also serious health issues and it's very difficult to try and maintain some physical fitness.  Even if you eat the same way or eat less, you still seem to gain.  It's very disheartening, so I can commiserate with you!  I was always very thin, too and trying to come to grips with the here and now is quite challenging.  I was glad to read the OP's text and it inspired me.  Maybe it will give some inspiration to you as well!  I have tended to focus on the parts of my body which I feel are not good or negative.  I am going to try to focus more on the parts I feel are positive - and on other parts of me which are positive!  Blessings to you and stay strong!!!   

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@Lali1  Thank you!  That was just like my Mom struggling all of her life, I always felt sad to waste her life feeling bad about how she looked due to her weight Smiley Sad  Im sorry too for your loss Smiley Sad   My Mom had breast cancer too!

Respected Contributor

The rest of my post continued!

Well my Mom hated her body and now and then would lose a few pounds but would always gain it back. She tried many diets but they never seemed to work. 

She was always embarra*sed and had low self esteem due to her weight, she didnt like to meet people and even didnt go to our school things. Sad to live that way.

A few years ago I was not happy and hated my body with a weight gain of 30 lbs. So I decided I had better get that weight off and I did and have not gained since then.

I didnt want to be the way she was and really didnt want to be overweight! I exercise and most of the time eat right. 
It is sooo true that life is too short to hate the body you are in!!