Honored Contributor

Re: Life is too short to hate the body you’re in

@Lali1 wrote:

I was having trouble sleeping last night and got to thinking. My mom from the time she had kids until she died was always trying to diet and hated her body. I also know someone who died when she went in to have one stomach stapling removed to have another such surgery. My mil on and on I can think of women who spent much of their lives hating the body they were in and being miserable about it. 

i like to walk and do some exercise but for the last year and a half after an injury I have become lazy. I decided I'm going to do my best in the mindset I'm in and try my very best to stop hating myself for how I look. I'm going to focus on healthfulness and not how I look in the mirror. 

Anyone else feeling the same? 

@Lali1 

To add my perspective on the opposite end of the spectrum in your post.

I have always been extremely skinny and back in the day, I was prescribed prednisone to try to gain weight (before they knew how bad steroids are for the body, long term).

I always hated my stick thin body, with no shape, being called 'skinny minnie'.

I may not have curves, but I'm healthy......but I can't 'twerk'....there's nothing there to 'twerk', LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

Not criticizing your post vermint, just wanted to say that I don't consider high blood pressure necessarily an "obesity-related" illness as I have family members who are thin as a rail who suffer life-long high BP and conversely my grandma (who lived to 100) was quite overweight most of her life but had a normal BP and a cholesterol level of 140. Like I said, am not saying this to be critical of ypur post, I just get tired of people & the news saying if you're overweight it means you're doomed to a life of health problems.

@KKJ  No, I understand...high blood pressure runs even among the thinner members of my family. And shoot, I forgot, I do have high cholesterol (though not too terribly high, controlled with an every-other-day med). My youngest brother is very overweight and has neither of those problems! My doctor told me that while, yes, I do need to lose weight, high BP and cholesterol can be hereditary.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Lali1   wish I could.. but I too dislike my figure faults and think about them all the time.... never look at my body in the mirror from the neck down.  I have done it all my life.  Not something you can just shut off.

@SeaMaiden 

I know how hard it may be, but you have to realize that the 'figure faults' that bother you so much don't define you.

Your kindness and character do....Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Lali1   wish I could.. but I too dislike my figure faults and think about them all the time.... never look at my body in the mirror from the neck down.  I have done it all my life.  Not something you can just shut off.

I get it. I have a friend who worries herself sick a lot. They had some bad news and her husband is traveling. He told her not worry. I thought yeh right like it's that easy. Of course it's not possible to change your thinking at the drop of the hat. But I do believe we have control over our thinking, I have to learn how to not be hard on myself and choose another mindset.
I've learned a lot from my dog who when he gets stressed nurses on a stuffed bear. If my dog can understand how to calm himself and change his mindset certainly I can. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I will never " love " my body.  It gets me where I need to go, and I've made peace with the fact that no matter how much weight I lose,  l'm not happy with my body.  However, it doesn't keep me up at night. It is what it is.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I think a lot of how we feel starts in childhood. My mom used to point to me the "Chubby" dept and told me that was where we would need to shop unless I ate less. She put me in twirling, dance classes 3 times a week because she said I tended towards weight gain. In dance class I asked to buy a blouse to cover me up because of the revealing leotards. I was 10. 

When I hit 12, I dieted strenuously to be 115 at 5'8. To this day I feel overweight unless I am 120 pounds. When I gained weight from 4 years ago having a heart attack and a slew of prescribed drugs adding lots of pounds, I think the weight bothered me more than the heart attack. 

I tried to bring my daughter up differently but she thankfully inherited her dad's tendency to always be thin naturally. It was never an issue.

I commend you @Lali1 for accepting yourself as you are. I have spent my lifetime being obsessed about weight and I doubt it will ever change.

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

I think a lot of how we feel starts in childhood. My mom used to point to me the "Chubby" dept and told me that was where we would need to shop unless I ate less. She put me in twirling, dance classes 3 times a week because she said I tended towards weight gain. In dance class I asked to buy a blouse to cover me up because of the revealing leotards. I was 10. 

When I hit 12, I dieted strenuously to be 115 at 5'8. To this day I feel overweight unless I am 120 pounds. When I gained weight from 4 years ago having a heart attack and a slew of prescribed drugs adding lots of pounds, I think the weight bothered me more than the heart attack. 

I tried to bring my daughter up differently but she thankfully inherited her dad's tendency to always be thin naturally. It was never an issue.

I commend you @Lali1 for accepting yourself as you are. I have spent my lifetime being obsessed about weight and I doubt it will ever change.

Oh I'm not there yet. Just thinking about those women in my life who were miserable about it for so long changed how I want to be from here on. No one who matters will say about you at the end of your life wow she sure was fat. 

Contributor

@Lali1 

I think you have achieved a state of consciousness that many women, including me, cannot attain.   When I look at the waist sizes of actresses from the 40s and before,  I am in a state of wonder.

It's been a fight all the way. I like apples, but struggle constantly not to resemble one.

Also, I remember when ketosis was a bad thing!

Valued Contributor

Thank you for sharing this!  I just spent an hour on that site and it truly has changed my thinking and awareness in a meaningful way.  My life just changed for the better.

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

I was having trouble sleeping last night and got to thinking. My mom from the time she had kids until she died was always trying to diet and hated her body. I also know someone who died when she went in to have one stomach stapling removed to have another such surgery. My mil on and on I can think of women who spent much of their lives hating the body they were in and being miserable about it. 

i like to walk and do some exercise but for the last year and a half after an injury I have become lazy. I decided I'm going to do my best in the mindset I'm in and try my very best to stop hating myself for how I look. I'm going to focus on healthfulness and not how I look in the mirror. 

Anyone else feeling the same? 

@Lali1 

To add my perspective on the opposite end of the spectrum in your post.

I have always been extremely skinny and back in the day, I was prescribed prednisone to try to gain weight (before they knew how bad steroids are for the body, long term).

I always hated my stick thin body, with no shape, being called 'skinny minnie'.

I may not have curves, but I'm healthy......but I can't 'twerk'....there's nothing there to 'twerk', LOL!

I understand. We all have our own issues with expectations and comments from people that stick with us forever. How we feel about ourselves it what's important.